Centre for the Quad 11L

W

wannabeav

Hi All,
After a few years of temporary upgrades I need to re-allign the system. I currently have a set of Quad 11L's as the stereo pair on a music amp, with a seperate run of cable from an a/v amp for DVD to act as the front L+R. In addition I have a centre, rears and sub from PSB Alpha range (originally used the Alpha fronts as well but not as good as the Quads).

What I need now is a centre that is fairly compact but will blend with the existing Quads. I had a look at the Quad centre which sounded great but a little on the large side to be 'accepted' by the better half. Although there have been similar threads in the past, new models have come out etc, and I was hoping for any recomendations to get an audition list.

Many thanks, JP.

Hmm, difficult one, the Quad L Centre is a cracking speaker, and matches well with the Quad 11L pair. You could try a Mordaunt Short MS300 series centre (forgot the actual model number, think it is either MS302 or MS304), but it will not match tonally.

The look and finish will also dissappoint in comparison to the 11Ls, not that MS speakers are badly built, but the Quads are superlative :) I would say stomach the beatings from the wife and stick with the L Centre. The L Centre isnt that large relatively speaking, explain to her that there is no other option.

The Centre looks better than the standmounts :) so maybe she will be swayed by that :D

Maybe the Wharfdale Diamond centre would work, that could be an option.

Thanks Kazman, the Quads do look good, looking to get a plasma on the wall too, maybe I could mention the Quad centre came free with that and we should 'persevere' with the looks until a replacement can be found (a little white lie now and then... :D )

I'll have a look at the others you mention as well. Any ideas what the canton CD50 is like, it would look the part mounted on the wall but not sure how it would blend with the Quads.

Not sure the Cantons would match, they have a different sound to Quad. I still think your best bet if you can't get the Quad is Wharfdale (IAG own both Wharfdale and Quad, and they sometimes share components, so you might get lucky with a tonal match).

But I like your idea of pretending it is a freebie with the Plasma :) could get your dealer to play along with that too :D

I would go with the Quad Centre. Maybe you could sit down and reason with your "better half" ;)

I mean, the Quad Centre is really not that large.

Try some roses and a thoughtful gift :D

Good luck to ya', wannabeav!!

I'm trying to figure out what to do about a Centre Channel, for my strictly (multi-channel) Audio system in my home office, which now consists of the Quad 22L and the Quad 12L all in the Yew finish.

The Yew finish is rare and hard to find, but I would love to have it all match.

I guess I'll try putting some "Wanted Ads" on Audiogon and such. But if I can't find the Quad Centre in Yew, I'll have to go a different route.

Cheers both, remember is she ever asks - yes there was a deal with the plasma and a free (very reasonablly sized centre) speaker! :D

Hi all , this is my first post in this forum :hiya:

I´m very interested in the Quad L after auditioning the 12L :thumbsup:

Do you think about other 11L like center?

And, What´s your opinion about amplifier it with a NAD 763?

Greetings from Spain ( and sorry for my english) ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom