1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

centre connection

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by fabio1605, Jul 14, 2004.

1. fabio1605

fabio1605

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if i was to buy a centre speaker where would it connect to i dont have centre out and my amp is a stereo...

would it be possible to bi wire it through my other 2

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The simple answer is that you need a five channel AV amp if you want to connect a centre speaker

3. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I think your missing the point Fabio. You only need a centre channel if your using an amplifier which de-codes surround sound information and has a dedicated centre channel output.

If your wanting to get surround sound from your DVD player, you would need to add on a processor (yamaha used to do one) to get centre and rear channel information as a minimum. Or just get a cinema amplifier.

There are ways to wire a centre speaker into a stereo system to give a sort of budget surround system, but thats usually with a speaker placed behind your listening position. Its referred to as a Hafler system, but will not give anything like true cinema surround, just a bit of ambient sound out of phase with the front pair of loudspeakers.

In a nutshell.....its time to break open the piggy bank!

4. fabio1605

fabio1605

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol,, yeh i thought i needed an av amp just wanted to check if there was a way possible to do it thats all...

On my amp(marantz pm7200) i have proccesor in and out (2 plugs) what are they used for

and how would i add a 5.1 decorder

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    To insert e.g. a graphic equalizer into the signal path.

A decoder alone would be of no use as you need some amplification to drive all the speakers. Besides, stand-alone decoders are not made anymore.

What you need is an AV amp/receiver with pre-out connections for the front speakers. Those pre-outs would connect to your stereo-amp which drives the fronts (thus no change to your current setup except the additional stereo cables) while the AV a/r would drive center and rears.
    Even the AV amp has 5 (or more) channels of amplification you can use it as long as it has pre-outs for the front channels.

Yamaha used to make a stripped down AV amp/decoder with 3 channels only (for center and rear) that could decode Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1, it was called the DSP-E800. Probably you can get it 2nd hand but it lacks newer features like DPL2(x) or DD Ex/DTS Es/DTS Es Discrete etc.