1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centre channel - suggest a good match?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by adieboy, May 26, 2005.

1. adieboy

adieboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've got a pair of Epos ES14s (on dedicated stands) -my Ruark centre (old Dialogue 1) isn't a very good match. Anyone know what might do a better job?

Cheers Adie

2. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
  3. adieboy

adieboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    That would seem the logical choice but I'm not entirely sure if it would be a good timbral match - ES14s are relatively old and Epos may have moved on to a different tonal balance in the last few years. Enyone tried this combination???

Cheers Adie

4. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    If your bookshelf speakers have a dryish, detailed, somewhat forward sound, then Epos have maintained thier house sound. Certainly that's how some Epos speakers I listened to a bout 6 months ago sounded like.

Russell

5. adieboy

adieboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Russraff,
    Your tone doesn't suggest your'e much of a fan.
    Just a couple of points.
    I could hardly describe ES14s as bookshelf speakers, you would need a bl**dy big bookshelf!! They were always intended to be standmounted - with stands, they measure 230mm wide, 290mm deep and stand over 1m tall.
    Their sound is probably a matter of taste, certainly not base-heavy or bloated, like so many floor-standing designs. I have run them for many years, with a Marantz KI Signature CD and Arcam amp and the sound, with music, is truely sweet. What they lack in sheer base weight they make up for in detail, speed and musicality (yes, I am rather fond of them).
    I recently heard their 5.1 system at the Bristol show - not that impressed- sounded a little thin and bright to my ears.
    In the ensuing years between the launch of these two products, the company has changed hands and - as far as I can tell - their in-house sound.
    Anyone have any other suggestions??

6. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Actually I like Epos speakers a lot, and nearly bought some of them but decided on my Ruarks instead. A "bookshelf" speaker, in my mind, is a smaller design requiring a stand or support for proper installation otherwise known, more accurately, as a standmount. Indeed if you google for "ES14" the first entry has the title "...ES14 Bookshelf loudspeaker speakers" - it's just a turn of phrase.
    Insofar as the tonality of the speakers, I think that I got it right and that your experience, albeit with a warmer sounding amp, would suggest a slightly off colour match. This would be especially true of the mid bass and bass regions which in the newer Epos line are rather lean. I did listen to them with a very neutral amp and CD player, mind. Had I used Arcam amplification this leanness may have been partially cured, if you will, by Arcams warmer cadence.
    If there wasn't a dedicated centre speaker made for your ES14's then your best bet would be a centre from the same manufacturer, or another ES14 (from a second-hand pair, ignoring the other speaker). Either way, you will be spending a lot of time looking for a match that will never satisfy.

Russell

7. adieboy

adieboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Russell,
    I would tend to agree with your summation- not going to be easy to match, but I'm loath to replace the Epos, as they certainly aren't the waekest link in the front sound-stage when in 5.1 mode- that would be my Ruark centre - and sound great in stereo.
    Using a third unit on it's side probably wouldn't work well (not designed with this in mind - off axis, bulky, and has to be lower than the other two, to go under my screen).
    Anybody else any ideas?

Cheers Adie

8. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  9. red severn

red severn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: