1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

centre channel nightmare!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ste_hewson, Jan 16, 2002.

1. ste_hewson

ste_hewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using the mordaunt short premiere package with my panny RV40 DVD player and kenwood KRFV5030 amp but can't seem to get the dialogue locked to the screen. have tried positioning above and below the TV but sound just comes from above or below respectively... anyone got any tips? have tried angling it up or down but doesn't appear to help.

also it's sounds kinda boxy where as all the other sats sound bright and clean. have tried substituting the centre for one of the rears but didn't brighten things up

is it my cheap amp which is causing problems... would a better amp help? or could I use the decoder built into my DVD player to get around this for now? would that produce a clearer brighter centre channel?

in stereo mode the dialogue is bright and seems more locked to the screen

any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have never come across this before. If you have a decoder in your DVD player it is worth trying that to see if it cures the problem but it means that you will have to fork out for six cables which might be a waste of money.

Are you sure that it is not you being oversensitive ?

Have you asked someone else for a second opinion.

3. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you checked the speaker levels.........sounds like you got the centre channel up to high........!!

4. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It will always sound above or below the TV, to a degree...

Now for the boxy sound, could be that the TV box, or speakers are interfering... test it on a stand in front of the TV... same as the front speakers...

5. ste_hewson

ste_hewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I could be being picky I guess, but it sounds so detatched it's kinda distracting.

as for the boxy sound, I will try your suggestion lowrider, thanks. Also I think i've got enough cables to do a test using my DVD decoder so will try that as well.

6. ste_hewson

ste_hewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    p.s i've also tried lowering the centre channel level right down to -10 and this didn't help things

7. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another hint, I use to have the same problem, locating the sound above the TV, when all speakers where at the same distance from my couch... Then I moved the front speakers about 50 cms ahead, and it got much better...

8. ste_hewson

ste_hewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'll try that cheers. at the moment my centre is slightly closer than the L/R. did try adjusting the distance on my amp but that didn't help things at all.

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have just seen your other thread and I notice that you have got the speakers on approval.

Best bet would be to take them back and tell them that you are not happy with the performance of the centre and try another package.

This will not cure the locking of the dialogue to the screen. You say that you may just being picky but if you can't find an answer you will end up never seeing the film as you are too preoccupied with where the sounds are coming from.

I am on about my sixth centre speaker, third amp second TV and second house and I have never suffered from this problem.

Using the DVD decoder will not help as presumably you have the same problem with other sources eg digibox

10. ste_hewson

ste_hewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yea if I can't solve it I will take them back. Like you say, I'll always be distracted. Happens on all sources.

As for the boxy sound, that happens on all sources also, even if I use one of the rears as the centre so am thinking that may be to do with positioning or my amp?!

11. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And, if you are right, it will happen with other speakers too...:blush:

12. ste_hewson

ste_hewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SO.... short of going out and buying a new amp in the hope this'll help how could I test this. I could use another speaker altogether for the centre and see if this locks the dialogue better and sounds brighter?! if not then it's probably my amp we think?! if it helps then it's the speakers yes?! they got a good review from home entertainment so wouldn't have thought it'd be them, but could be.... got them from richers.. could they be grey imports, and would this affect the sound?

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    No - the same type of speaker would sound the same from whatever it came.

It cannot be the speaker at fault so it must be the amp. Perhaps there is a lot of cross talk so that the centre information is leaking to the main front pair.

You need to test it with another system and it would be easier to take your centre to someone else's house than to bring their amp to yours.

Any helpful members in Bedfordshire ?

14. ste_hewson

ste_hewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers.

can't do that really though cos none of my mates are into home cinema - they're quite happy with a bog standard tv... strange I know!!

but I will find a way!! :D

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If no-one closer offers you are more than welcome to try mine in Tamworth - long way maybe but you might get peace of mind.

Ian

16. ste_hewson

ste_hewson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers Ian. Much appreciated. I'll keep you posted.