1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centre channel - location?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by BestGear, Jan 23, 2005.

1. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi Folks

Just wondered if anyone has thier centre channel located on or very near to the floor?

I have mine below the screen which is actually lying flat on the floor.

I am using a B&W 603 for the centre (and another as centre rear) and am not entirley happy with the sound.

I have obviously played with the large/small (althout you could never pass a 603 as "small" ;-))), but still feel that it sounds a bit "nasal".

I am wondering about making up a small stand for it that would angle the front upwards towards the listener, and also get the side off the floor.

Thoughts or findings??

D

2. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Ideally the centre speaker should be about ear height. Many moons ago due to certain limitations I had my front centre on the floor. A little later I reorganised everything including the unit on which the tv was sitting. This enabled me to place a shelf above the tv and I placed the centre speaker on that.

The difference was like night and day, audio from the speaker was more defined.

I can only recommend you do try somehow to get your speaker off the floor and into a better position.

Regards
    Keith Hurst

3. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi Keith...

Yes, I have made a stand for it and it is better sounding now...

As for ear height, there is no sensible way for me without getting an aucoustically transparent screen and rear mounting it. I guess 90% of folks have it below the screen and effectivley at knee height.... inc many of those with TVs... When I think about it, even on top of the TV it is way over head height when sitting down.

I guess optimal is never really reachable... for most...

D

4. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Well at least you got it sounding better, and thats the main thing. :thumbsup:

KH