Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Centre ceiling speaker

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by pyroxene, May 24, 2005.

1. pyroxene

pyroxene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear All,

I am mid house renovation at the moment. I have a second lounge where i intend to put a ceiling mounted projector screen. This room will not be dedicated as a 'cinema' room and also, i have two small children!, i really do not want to have a wall mounted centre speaker. I can just imagine the kids swinging off it! Is it recommened to have a ceiling mounted center? Will this be a big compromise on the quality of sound? If it is ok, does any one have any recomendations on speaker brands and models? I think the front/rear left and right will be the KEF 5005 range. Of course needless to say, i do not want to pay the earth for some high end centre...

Thanks for any replies in advance...

2. alliwant

alliwant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not sure if you could use it as a centre speaker as that is supposed to be directional? Ant Gallo do ceiling mounts that allow you to tilt the speaker at an angle so you may be able to get away with it.

3. monkeyboy69

monkeyboy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    if you're after KEF and want to keep with that brand for the front soundstage you could always plump for the Ci 200.2QT , couldnt' tell you the price but it drops and tilts at a 45 degree angle, so potential there

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +882
    I dont think that any ceiling speaker would be ideal for a centre given that

(a) it deals with the speach which occures 'on screen' so the sound may sound seperated from what is happening on the screen

(b) if something (eg a motor bike) panned from left to right the sound would potentially sound as if it was at left speaker level then moves up to your ceiling and then back down to the right speaker.

As an ideal situation most people/companies appear to recommend that the tweeters of the front 3 speakers should all be at the same level. This is rarely able to be fully accomplished but the ceiling option may be too extreme.