1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centre and rears to match quad esl ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by rutteger, Sep 27, 2004.

1. rutteger

rutteger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm sure the thought of running Quad ESL (57s) as the L & R in a home cinema will upset many audiophiles, however I'm going to do it :D

So, any suggestions as to what centre and rears might match it. The Quad centre speaker is too big for the gap under the TV, so is ruled out for starters (plus is out of my price range).
    As for rears due to space (lack of) and the g/f satellite speakers are the only options. Any suggestions other than the ubiquitous Kef Eggs?

I'm running a Quad 303 power amp for the l&r and a yamaha rx-v630 as a processor for the centre and rears...

2. rutteger

rutteger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    bump.

any suggestions at all?

3. wduijn

wduijn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm considering to expand my quad 66/606/esl63 to a home cinema system, and was thinking at the Quad 12L als rear speakers and the Quad Lcentre as centre speaker.

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Had you considered any of the Martin Logan electrostatics?....assuming the cost isnt too exceesive.....would go a long way to preserving the speed and attack of the ESL's and there are some space saving solutions from them,especially the centre.

I've briefly tried mine as the fronts in my system,and really it didn't work...they're very nice,and the detail as you know is superb,but they can't be driven hard,and the sound doesnt integate well with conventional speakers elsewhere in the system.

Mine are used as the stereo set for music only.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    rutteger

Your having a laugh :)

A KEF KHT2002.5 as the Centre with ESL's - personally I'd go without the Centre; can your AV Processor be set to not have a Centre channel attached?

As Alexas2 suggests a non electrostatic for the Centre is going to be hard to integrate.

If you are keen to do some investigation then an Anthony Gallo Due (UK SRP £500) is definitely worth a listen.

The Due incorporates a CDT HF 'transducer' which will be a good match with your ESL's. The Due are very small so easily transported if you have a Gallo dealer nearby.

See http://www.anthonygallo.co.uk/due.html

Or pick up a third ESL for the Centre channel.

Best regards

Joe

PS Slap a pair of Velodyne DD subs with the ESL's or ESL63's if you want clean full range sound!!!

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Apparently not as a quick search through rutteger's previous posts shows that he bought a pair of KEF Eggs via the classifieds here and also advertised for a centre speaker to a maximum of £100 receiving saitsfaction along the way.

This thread has been resurrected from 5 months ago but it would be interesting to hear what rutteger thinks of his completed system now.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Hello Ian

Have you listened/lived with ESL's?

There's no way a KHT2002 will work as a centre with a pair of Electrostatics.

Your going to take one of the best 'voice' loudspeakers of all time and use them either side of a £99.00 Satellite and give the Satellite the majority of vocal work :)

Must go read the follow up threads.

Joe

8. rutteger

rutteger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Blimey, this thread's been dredged up from the past.

Anyhow for what it's worth I currently have a pair of Kef 2005.2 as the rears and a cheapo Mourdant Short as the centre.
    At the moderate levels to which I am able to listen to 5.1 I find the Kef rears a fairly good and unobtrusive match. The centre is a different matter, as one would expect it's a pretty poor match to the quads. When funds allow it's certainly something I'm going to be looking at upgrading. I'll also try doing without a centre which in my haste to embrace 5.1 was something I never really considered.

9. wduijn

wduijn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess the Quad Lcentre isn't the best choice either....
    I didn't know the Gallo Due, but it certainly is a speaker i am considering.
    What about the surround speakers? Due's too? The quality of SACD sound is the most important for me.
    Do I need a sub? I never missed one so far...

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    wduijn

The Anthony Gallo Due and A'Diva are certainly worth considering - you'll need to 'work' the settings on your Processor/Receiver to achieve the optimum balance in your room.

A sub will be well worth a listen - moreso for Movies over Music if your already happy with what you hear via your current set-up.

Best regards

Joe