1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centre and Fronts for £1200

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ChrisNic, May 11, 2003.

1. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Preferbly stand mounts or small floorstanders. Have to be good in stereo but apart from that im open to any suggestions, just not B&W CDM's because of that awkward centre speaker!

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    I auditioned B&W CDM's , Proac, Quad, Linn and Dynoaudio stand mounts last thursday at Audio-T in Basingstoke. I'm looking to replace my fronts with a similar budget as yourself.
    The B&W sounded great but was also put off buy the huge centre speaker- I live in quite a small flat so the centre would look positively dominent in my lounge. I was impressed by all of the makes ,but, I found the Linn Katans to be my favourites.
    I have tried shopping around for the best price for the Katans and Trikan (centre) speakers but you only tend to only be able to purchase them at RRP. The Linns are £635 and £485 ( cherry - cheaper for black) respectively and the stands to go with them are £135 which all adds up to our budget.
    I like the look of the Ninka floor stands but there £1045 on there own. I'm might stretch to them but will audition first.
    I recommend you approach a local dealer to listen to a variety of makes as the sound each make can be chalk and cheese depending on wh's listening.

good hunting:devil:

3. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    My quick and dirty recommendation would be a Dynaudio Audience 122c and either a pair of 52s (on good stands) or a pair of 62s.

If I remember from another thread, you have a Rotel RMB-1075. I'm very happy with my 1075/Dynaudio combo.

As always, try before you buy.

D.

4. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    May I suggest 3 x M&K MPS1510's at £425 each - great in stereo and outastanding in multi channel due to the perfect tonal matching.

Matt.

5. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I did demo the rotels with the Dynaudio audience 52s and the 122c and they were amazing but the centre is huge and not exactly cheap! I think its worth listening to some cdms because ive got some 602s at the moment that I like so im keen on the B&W 'sound' som might be worth finding the big centre a home if its good.

Thanks for your help everyone! I had also thought about some mission 782se's with he matching centre, any views on that?-know its over my budget but I have a good nack for knocking dealers down, must be the student in me!

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I bought an AV rack so that I could put a large centre speaker underneath the TV instead of trying to balance it on top.

No good if you have RPTV though

7. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I will own up and say I only have a 24" Phillips tv at the moment so Putting it on an av rack would look all wrong height wise so I was thinking about a cheapp ikea tv that would the majority of centres but certainly not the B&W. And also my dvd player is under the tv at the moment and moving it to the rack would involve buying a 3m scart which doest appeal. Im looking at the M&Ks at the moment suggested by Matt with really helpful advice from uncle eric.

8. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Im lucky that I have an M&K dealer near to me so will see if they could arrange a demo. Im open to every option at the moment so I have a short list to listen to.

9. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I have Tannoy Eyris 2s and an eyris centre. Not the most bass heavy (a sub would probably make the setup perfect, but I have neighbours), but sound clear and crisp. Great in stereo, too. And they look good.

You should be able to get this lot for about £1k, or the Eyris 3s for a hundred or so more. I certainly recommend them for a listen.

Jasper

10. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I was reading a review of those last night, cant help thinking that there would be wasted technology if I got them. Multichannel music has no appeal at the moment. As it happens I jut got back from listening to the B&W CDMs, they were as I thought a step up from my 602's and that was with a denon 3803 so im sure my rotels would be even nicer. They were very bass light though but thats probably because im used to what ive got and that centre is going to be a pain. But ofcourse with a musical sub they would hopefully give me tuneful bass that I desire at the moment. The red cherry finish is gorgeous aswell!