1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centre advice please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Doctor_AB, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Doctor_AB

Doctor_AB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    As per title what would anyone suggest for centre speaker for following system. Monitor Audio Silver S6 fronts, kef eggs rear, no sub yet, sky plus, arcam dv89, arcam avr250.
    Presumably for tonal match I need another MA but which one. Would it really be awful not to get a MA silver as would much rather get something smaller like centre egg.

2. scw

scw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well I’d say your choice was easy…just buy a silver centre and they are bound to match tonally. Some have also recommended going for the more expensive gold centre option.

My task is harder…I’ve got a pair of Celestion 700’s. They are the high end aerolam honeycomb cabinet speakers and it seams a shame to retire them, but I’ll have to if I cant find a centre that matches tonally. Trouble is I don’t know how to go about finding one and was hoping for some help here…anyone?

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    People are trying to get rid of their KEF Egg centres from their systems and replacing them with something better so that is the last thing that you should do from a sonic point of view.

4. MSYam

MSYam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definately go for matching MA silver. If not, at least choose something similar. I would imagine trying to match a nice floorstanding front speaker to a little satellite centre would be very difficult sound-wise. I reckon it would sound awful.

5. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    SCW why dont you email celestion and ask them for a recomendation?
    MA silver would be the best choise as the Kef centre is pants. Most people get a Kef Q6/9 or even the old Kef 100 reference centre. You could slways look at the bronze series but I think you would find it lacking compared to the silvers.