1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Central Heating Pump Help

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MattH, Sep 23, 2005.

1. MattH

MattH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Completely off topic but hopefully someone please can you pass on some of your wisdom about this:

I have recently moved into a much larger house and i have a probelme with getting all the radiators hot, the house has 23 radiators 18 of which are large doubles. The old house i had was smaller and consequently less rads, however the pump was the same. a Grundfos 15/60. I have tried balancing the system which although helped hasnt really done enough, some rads still only luke warm. The pump looks reasonably new and runs fine with no noise, infact during recent decorating during the summer quite a few rads were taken out and the ones which previously did not get warm did during a test i ran. I have tried all over the net to find some info about this or to help calculate the size of pump required but cannot find anything useful.

Hopefully one of the forum members will have some plumbing knowledge, or be a plumber and can point me in the right direction....please....

Thanks

2. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Just checking the obvious...

Have all the rads been bled and is the boiler up to the job of heating all those radiators?

I had a similar experience at my office where about 3-4 radiators at the far end of the loop were lukewarm. I'll ask my partner what we did to solve it. TBH I think it might have been a shortage of water in the system.

Chris

3. MattH

MattH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Chris, I dont know the output of the bolier but its a main unit supplemented by an additional piece, could be that may have to consult a proffesional plumber, i can just hear the ohhs and ahhs telling me i need to spend a fortune to get it sorted.

Any info you can share with me would be great.

Thanks vm

4. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,265
  5. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,620
    Not an expert ,but ... what type of boiler do you have ?
    If its a sealed system , have you replaced the water you took out when you disconnected the rads ? You could be running at low pressure

john

6. MattH

MattH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    all replaced and bled, and rebalanced, still some rads not getting hot, thanks GaryB, have posted on the screw fix site hopefully a plumber will pick it up. Not the right time of year for the heating to not be working, the little lady will not like it!!!

7. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Is the house old?

Sounds like the system might need a good power-flush to get rid of all the 'gunk' that has built up over the years.

Add some 'inhibitor' to the new system and you'll be sorted for years. :smashin:

8. da walrus

da walrus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    sounds like a big rad system and possibly DIY installed or extended. Difficult to advise without on site inspection but pr obs. could be sevenfold from boiler to installation. Are the rads that do not come up to temp spurred in excessive runs from the main flow and and return supply, and if so in 15mm pipe(?)....which won't help one bit.

Is the pump setting at 2? - look at pump housing - there are poss. 3 settings 1,2 and 3- do not advise 3 as it generates air bubbles with obvious consequences and 1 too low.

Pay to have a written survey and recommendations carried out by a heating 'expert' U could try ringing up a local Chartered Building Surveyor(cheekily) and ask them if they could advise one - they should know of reputable ones (my wife is a Chartered Surveyor and she does). They may/will not be plumbers -they will fault find and cost up options to resolve - usually they belong to a proffesional org-CORGI registered on its own is not evidence of ability. Trust me on the above - It will save long term.

9. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,418
    I had the same problem when I had the extension built and two new radiators fitted...even had the pump replaced...turns out that it wasn't even broken. the way mine was fixed was by turning the pump around so that it went toward the boiler instead of away from it even though it had worked fine the other way round before I added 2 more rads...bloody central heating has a mind of its own. At one point I was bleeding the radiators and thought all was ok with the hissing noise but then I realised that it was sucking air in instead of blowing it out...that really annoyed me! :mad:

10. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,346
    Presuming the pipes are the correct size and the system is filled correctly then try this
    Shut all the valves off on the rads eg both right and left (flow and return )
    Starting from the furthest rad from the boiler open the valves and bleed the rad hopefully the rad should get very hot ,work back to the boiler using this system ,if it is something simple such as an airlock ,this may work .

If this does not work ring a recomended corgi installer who has experience of gravity filled systems and he should be able to find a solution ,like da walrus says it could be numerous problems and may not be easy .

I am a corgi reg installer by the way . :)

11. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28,239
    Nowhere near Oxford are you :)

Dave

12. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,346
    No unfortunatly not im in halifax yorkshire . :)