Center wanted £500ish

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by pop, May 23, 2001.

1. pop

pop
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have yamaha A1 amp
    Rotel RB970BX Power amp (if needed)
    Mission 753 Fronts
    JPW Mini Monitor Rears
    Kef 30B Sub
    Tannoy MC Center.

I Would like to upgrade center.
    Then rears.
    Any sugestions.
    I am happy with fronts and sub.
    Many thanx.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    celestion A4c....i think that what it is, is the best i have heard.....but the A series is very good at showing inadequacies. Try it! I love it, then again it matches the rest of my system so maybe that why!!

3. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    pop,

£500 can buy lots of different centre speakers - what is critical is that the one you choose should be voice matched to your fronts. Therefore, unless there's a specific model in the Mission range that goes with your 753s you would be unlikely to get much benefit from the centre that sort of money might buy.

Therefore, you should consider whether the centre you go for (if not a 'matching' Mission) will be a match for the next pair of front speakers and plan for that upgrade also. Otherwise, you'll be doing your new centre a disservice.

A really good demo (at home preferably) is really essential.

BTW, a fantastic centre is the B&W CDMC NT, but should be bought with the possibility of other B&Ws in mind IMHO.

4. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ruark Dialogue 1 is the dog's twitcher at £400.

S

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    in honesty.....if you want your missions to stay.....i would think that your best option is probably the matching mission centre the 75c.....i know its old, but it really does match your speakers well.....on top of that it will probably only cost you about £100 if you can find one.....if you used 2 the effect would be even better, i found that anyway. hope this helps.

6. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I used to have a Mission 75C and it was very good, if a little on the large side. The original rrp was £248 but as it's now discontinued you should be able to pick one up for half that or less, or even get a second hand one.

One word of warning though - Mission never updated the 75C to "Freedom" spec - the rest of the 75 series went from 752 to 752F, 753 to 753F etc. a few years ago (they basically made the tweeter more refined) but the centre was left untouched.

Now, back then I had some 752Fs up front (lovely speakers) and in all honesty the 75C wasn't a great tonal match - it was a bit brighter - it all sounded pretty good but it wasn't spot on. Strangely enough, when I upgraded the 75C to an M&K 750C THX, not only did it sound a whole lot better than the 75C, it actually matched the 752F's better as it's treble is a lot more refined.

So, I would say that if you have 753s then a 75C would be a very good match, but if you have the newer 753Fs then the 75C won't be so good (as it has a different tweeter) so you might be better off trying out a few other centres - and definitely try out the M&K 750C (£325) as I found this to be a very good match for the 752Fs.

Matt.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kef TDM 23C THX OH YES

8. bug

bug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey pop checkout the classifieds there's a mission 75c going for 100pounds now that's got to be a bargain :D

9. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forget the rest, get the best, KEF...

or any other speaker with concentric tweeter/midrange units (where the tweeter is in the centre of the midrange unit). They will give you a much more even sound field because the sound is eminating from a point source thus eliminating lobes (the same frequency sound coming from both the tweeter and midrange around the crossover frequency, either in phase, giving a greater amplitude, or out of phase giving a lower amplitude). The greater the physical distance between the tweeter and midrange unit, the more pronounced the lobing. My preferance is for one of the top-of-the-range KEF's with the 'Reference' series tweeter (Gold Ring).