1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Center Stage CS-2 SDI Modification

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by schmidtsm, Jul 5, 2005.

1. schmidtsm

schmidtsm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to Mod a CS-2 with a SDI option. Do I need to buy the kit from Focus or could I use a DVD SDI Mod kit? If it is possible what kit would work the best? Can a CS-1 be moded with the same kit?

2. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    I believe the mod kit is specific to the scaler, and it may be difficult to find anyone in the UK with one now, but you could try owl video. The CS-2 has a DVI input, though, which is digital, uncompressed, and has a more versatile range of input resolutions. What's wrong with that?

Nick

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    DVI is inherently progressive, which defeats the object of using the deinterlacing in the Centerstage. The SDI should also allow for an analogue output, from a digital input. DVI is usually digi in, digi out.

God knows who to contact though! Owl Video recommend JVB in the Netherlands to do the SDI mods on iScan HD+, probably the best place to look for a Centerstage mod.

4. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    The CS-1 cannot be modded with the SDI kit - that's a feature of the CS-2 only.

DVI is constrained to digital out only on the CS-2 only when the input is DVI and only when HDCP encryption is applied.

In all other cases you can have interlaced digital or analogue in and progressive digital or analogue out in any combination.

Don't forget the DVI input gives a much wider range of input resolutions - not just 480i or 576i - though sadly not including 1080i according to Focus.

Anyone know if SDI has any advantage over DVI?

Nick