Center speakers Qs :)

CodeThief

Established Member
Reaction score
Right,

Im not completely minted!!!! so Im buying my surround setup in bits.

This month Kef Q1s with stands and cable
Next month Marantz AV amp (prolly 6200)

So I've got my old fronts at the rears (for now) and the front pair and soon the amp.

So I'll not have a center until the month after. Can I plug in my center that came with the tele and maybe set it to small, just so I get some center sound until I can afford the new one?? Or will it go pop???

What would be a good match center wise for the Q1s?? and don't say another Q1 as the missus would have a fit.

Dave

My advice would be to tell the AV amp (when you get it) that you do not have a centre speaker. The centre channel will then be sent to the left and right fronts and, assuming you selfishly steal the "sweet spot", you should then get a very good sound, albeit not as good as it will be when you get yourself a matching centre speaker.

This set up is known as a "phantom centre" and it works remarkably well but only for the person sitting in the prime position, just like stereo does really. I'd definitely gamble on it sounding a lot better than if you use the centre speaker that came with the telly.

The matching centre speaker is the KEF Q9C - that's the one to go for when you have the cash.

Matt.

Ooh thats an idea, I didnt know you could do this. Thanks for the advice,

Any other centers better than the Q9C as I know there was a gripe with the old Q95Cs or have they sorted out any problems??

Dave

There are some mixed reviews of the Q9c on this forum. Do a search. I'm thinking of getting one, when the funds allow. I had a listen and to my ears it sounded good. In the flesh its a lot bigger than I expected. WAF could be a problem, however better than trying to put another Q1 and stand in front of the TV ;)

A review from Inside HI-fi and AV

Boasting the same Uni-Q array as the other models in the new KEF Q Series, the Q9c offers a perfect timbre match. With centre speakers off axis response is crucial because they carry most of the dialogue content. Here the Q9c doesn't disappoint with high output and fast transient attack combining with Uni-Q's inherently wide dispersion characteristics.

Thanks to an advanced new metal dome tweeter that KEF has developed directly from the Reference Series unit, the Q9c's vocal clarity is excellent. Other noteworthy features include the Uni-Q 'pod', a curved front baffle and side panels and magnetic shielding to prevent interference on the TV screen. A bi-wirable design, the Q9c is expected to retail for £249.99. It's available now in a choice of black ash, dark apple or maple finish.

Reiner: Can you let us in on the possible problem?

I heard from more than one person around here that it wasnt a particularly good speaker. See Uncle Eric's response to me at the end of the 250 pound speaker thread.

Dave

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom