1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Center Speaker recommendation with kef q500

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by varsanikr, Apr 16, 2018 at 12:52 PM.

1. varsanikr

varsanikr
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I am slowly building my 5.1 system.

I currently have KEF q500 which were purchased for £349 from Peter Tyson. I understand they are now discontinued.

I have decided on a Sony STRDN1080 AV Receiver after reading reviews.

However I am currently stuck on which centre speaker to purchase that will work best with the front speakers I have. I've been recommended to purchase Monitor Audio BRONZE for £159 by Richer Sounds.

I have seen the KEF Q200's but are finding difficulty finding them for a reasonable price / shipping :) - I'm not opposed to purchasing something different.

Finally, I'm looking for very small rear speakers that I can mount on the wall behind my couch.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 2:04 PM
  2. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,733
    I'd try and track down a Kef Q200C (try Ebay) which will match your Q500's tonally.

For Surrounds maybe some Kef E301 or older Kef Eggs.

3. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +381
    3005 also known as eggs will do the surrounds just fine. I actually still use them due to space constraints.

For a centre, the q200 is the obvious and best choice. The q600 would also work but is designed for the q700 rather than the q500

R200 and r600 is again not perfect but would keep a similar tonal balance across the lcr

Ls50 is another candidate but none will match like the q200/600

Personally, from Demoes, I preferred the denon/marantz amplifiers with kef speakers over the Sony’s. I wouldn’t make a decision solely on reviews.

4. varsanikr

varsanikr
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting point about the AMP. I've also seen a Denon AVRX2400 which is £100 cheaper. In many reviews the Sony seems to win but only marginally and I'm not sure i'll notice the difference.

I'm currently looking at a budget of around £350 max really. (for the center speaker)

5. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,962
    You should certainly try and get a Q200C or Q600C. The 3005se centre could be used at a push, as could the Eggs for surrounds for which they are very adept. The R200C is a considerable step up from a Q200C, both in quality and price. Get one of those and will have you lusting after R500s.

6. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,074
    I actually changed from a Kef Q200C to a Klipsch RP-250C. A seemingly odd manouver, but it has worked out really well. Initially I was using it with Kef Q700's and now with Kef R300's. I find the tonal match is fine, and the horn tweeter makes dialogue very clear. And, at 96db sensitivity it is ridiculously efficient and does not need much power to get it to play loud and clear. Amazon have some:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00S4HBWJY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

7. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +329
    As others have said this; KEF Q200C Center Channel Speaker - Black Oak | eBay

Or this if you have the space;
    Kef Q600c centre speaker | in Ipswich, Suffolk | Gumtree

And yes you probably won`t hear any difference with movies if you go with Denon X2400H. This would enable you to get RicherSounds 6year SuperCare warranty (32,85£) for the receiver and still stay under 400£. With the electronics these days you never know how they going to last..

Be carefull with the very small surround speakers meaning if they would be even smaller than Kef Eggs (E301). I would rather mix some other brand surrounds than go too small thin sounding speakers on wall. Of course depending how serious you are...

8. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,733