Center speaker prob/question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Dragonoptical, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Dragonoptical

Dragonoptical

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

A week ago I bought a sony STR-DE695, and Davis Club HAS-80-speakers, I must say it's my first true home cinema-system (before this I had a hifi with dolby pro-logic I), but for the moment I'm really not impressed with the sound I'm hearing from the speakers, and in a more specific way: the center speaker.
    Let me explain: when I was watching tv (/dvd's) or listening to music through my old hifi the sound was coming from 2 front speakers and 2 rear speakers (there's a mode that lets u use the center speaker and the 2 rear speakers but that mode wasn't really good), now when I'm listening to music or watching dvd's/tv through my 5.1-speakers the main-sound (/voices when watching tv/dvd's) is coming from the center speaker, I know that's the way it should work (most of the time I'm using the NEO:6-music mode, except for dvd's), but the fact that the voices are coming from 1 speaker (instead of 2 speakers with my old hifi) really irritates me.
    I tryed to position the center speaker on the tv (that's where it is at the moment) and just under the tv (on the top shelf of my tv-stand), but it's not really changing anything...
    So my question is: is it the center speaker that's just crap (I know Davis Club isn't really a popular brand, but I'v spent 300£ on these speakers, that's a lot...), or is it just something I need to get used to?
    Will another (good) center speaker give a more "stereo-ish" sound?
    Another thing I thought about was: buy 2 front speakers and connect both of them to the center-output of my amp...I know that's not the way it's ment to be done but that center speaker is really pi**ing me off :mad:

2. Icarus

Icarus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like somat isn't set up right. Could it be that the sound from the centre is too loud and therefore drowning out the two front mains? Try balancing the sound via the receiver setup pages.

3. Dragonoptical

Dragonoptical

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :oops:
    Well, there you have it: I finally found the "Level" options of my decoder, and now the sound is more balanced, thx!

4. Icarus

Icarus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hehe, easily done but reading the manual generally helps.:zonked: