1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Center speaker picture interference on 42PF9966

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Bastian, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Bastian

Bastian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own a Philips 42PF9966 plasma screen, and a Philips LX9000R home theater set with a built in DVD-R.

The problem I have is that when I use the speakers of my 42PF9966 as the center speaker of my home theater set, I get a lot of interference in the picture directly related to the sound coming out of the center speaker.

I've hooked the home theater set up to a different Philips Plasma, and I've encountered the same problem. I'm really at a loss on how to solve it. I think it could be any of the issues mentioned below:

- Bad isolation of the speaker (but would be quite funny if both plasma's have the same problem)

- earthing problems

- bad cable (tried 2 cables already)

In reality I don't really have a clue :eek: as to what might be the solution. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Bastian

2. shugg

shugg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi yer i've got the same one but don't use the same audio setup, my hi-fi does that. The initial reviews did'nt rate the audio side of this screen, perhaps the centre speaker needs to be over worked to produce sonics and gives interference - i will try your setup and see what happens.
    Try phillips customer service, see if they can fix it.
    good luck shugg :D

3. Bastian

Bastian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That'd be absolutely the dawgs B*llocks if you'd try that out! Hopefully it gets me closer to narrowing down the problem. Thanks mate.

4. Bastian

Bastian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So.... is there anyone who can shed a light on this?

Thanks,

Bastian

5. lemke

lemke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had the same idea when I bought the 9966. This speaker is more or less ok for normal TV use. But when using it for theatre surround, don't use it and buy a descent center speaker. It will interfear no more.

Greetz
    Lem

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Does the picture interference happen when using the speakers in the ordinary way? If not, then the speakers are interfering with the HC set, not the plasma. No, I've no idea why this should happen. It is materially impossible for the actual speaker to interfere with the plasma, it's not like a CRT, where magnets deflect the electron beams.

7. Bastian

Bastian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, the speaker doesn't interfere when its used as a normal speaker. It only does this when used as the centre speaker as part of my HT setup.

Using a separate center speaker isn't an option, because it would ruin the esthaetics of the living room.

As I said previously, I have the same problem connecting my philips home cinema set to another philips plasma. This could point to a problem with the philips home cinema set, but then again, I don't have this problem connecting it to a separate center speaker.

Any other suggestions?

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If it's new, get the retailer to sort it out. 'Unfit for purpose' springs to my mind, but best be gentle with them 1st off.

9. Bastian

Bastian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi MAW,

So, do you think it may well be a problem with the LX9000R home cinema set? I mean, the fact that the problem exists on both plasma screens could point to that. Or.....it could mean that both plasma screens are not good.

Thanks,

-Bastian

10. shugg

shugg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi yer again sorry for the delay, but i can't reproduce this interference.....it may be that your home cinema is the source as its the only common denominator? When you say centre speaker do you mean sub-woofer by any chance - you can place one of those anywhere in your room. all the best shugg

11. Bastian

Bastian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope,

I really meant the center speaker, and not the subwoofer. I'll call Philips service and ask them to take a look at the LX9000R. Thanks for your help. Of course any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Bastian

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I think they need to look at the 2 together. It could be that the plasma is causing the problem, sending something back down the line level connector (presume this is what you are doing) which is giving the HC system a headache. I presume the interference stops if you just unplug the phono? In which case it may be a 'feature' of the plasma which does not agree with the HC system, that's just as likely as a fault on the 9000. You don't have any other 'pre out' source you could drive the speakers with whilst the 9000 is connected and playing, if you see what I mean. I'd try a CD player, or something like that connected to the centre in phono, then play a DVD. Then you'll at least know if it's just any line level in which upsets it. Next step, more difficult I expect, is to try another surround system. The solution to this is likely to be ditching the 9000, and going for some slim, aesthetically pleasing separates.

13. Bastian

Bastian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi MAW,

First of all, thanks again for your advice, because it's really helpful in narrowing down the list of potential problems.

The interference indeed stops if I unplug the phono connetor. (it also starts when I plug it back in, but only if there's a signal on the line from the LX9000R. If I have the LX9000R in stereo mode, and it doesn't send a signal....no problemo)

I've tried connecting my CD player to the center in on the 42PF9966, and that didn't cause interference.

My guess based on your helping me to narrow down the problem, is that the problem is with the level coming out of the LX9000R or with the cable. I've experimented some more, and soldered a new cable.........and.........

TATAAAAAAA!

Problem solved! Well, more or less.... the sound quality from the speaker isn't great.... but that's probably because I used a cheap speaker cable, and I'm the world's worst solderer. Do you agree that if I go out and buy a decent cable things may improve?

Thanks again for your help!

Best regards,

Bastian

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Sounds that way, yes. It won't be expensive anyway. Incidentally I make cables all the time, and never solder, we crimp eveything with a pressing tool. It's quick and reliable, and establishes a consistent electrical connection. It's not cheap though, but we can make up cables in situ that way, which reduces the tangle round the back of the equipment. No useless slack.