1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Center speaker might not fit :(

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Imrahil, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Imrahil

Imrahil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to test out 2 sets of speakers and neither of the center speakers of the sets will fit into my AV furniture
    I've got the soundstyle XS310 which left plenty of headroom for my old mission center speaker, but its 10 odd inches of shelf height won't fit the B&W HTM7 nor the M&K s-150c thx..

Now I'm sure some of you have gone through the same situation.
    I could possibly do so DIY maiming to the AV furniture but obviously prefer not to, altho it is the first thing to be changed (as I don't really want to compromise on the speakers)

I'm open to any suggestion, from suitable alternatives speaker wise to furniture alternatives - as long as I don't end up putting the center speaker on the floor in front of the furniture ofcourse ;)

welcoming any suggestions,
    Elco

2. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    if your looking at S150, try a s125 centre to match them, it sits a lot slimmer and should fit into the stand. the other alternative with a s150 centre would be to have it on a tall stand and let it "float" above the plasma. dunno about options with the b&w though

3. Imrahil

Imrahil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ah thanx, I was considering the s125 (and have asked them to provide it aswell as an emergency alternative) but I am owrried whether or not it can keep up with the s150's?

Just been looking at other AV stands and the situation is pretty much the same everywhere. the shelfspace is only about 10 inches heigh :(

4. Imrahil

Imrahil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does no one have any alternatives? AV furniture? or maybe plasma stands with appropriate shelves? :|

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I use a Soundstyle AV rack but I have my M&K speaker turned on it's side to fit in.

6. Imrahil

Imrahil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you use the s-150 thx as center aswell? I take it it just fits on it's side then?

I've got this worrying feeling I am going to prefer the B&W's over the M&K's. I've been told the M&K's sound alot more bright. But there's also the point that the M&K's are quite ugly compared to the B&W 700 series ;)
    I suppose I could move the whole thing back more, put the center speaker on a stand and find an alternative place for my subwoofer

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have the Pro verson of the S85 which is the MPS 1510 and that is even uglier than the standard M&K fare

8. Imrahil

Imrahil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hehehe is that even possible? ;)
    to be honest it is one of the reasons I am biased towards the B&W speakers, cos they do look the part aswell .. if it wasn't for the damn tweeter on top of the center speaker it might actually fit ;)

9. Imrahil

Imrahil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I might have found exactly the thing I was looking for:
    http://www.unicol.com/pdf/axialft.pdf
    the lo level or hi level plasma stands with adjustable shelves..
    the only thing I am worried about, is since it has such a large contact point with the floor, would things like the sub bass being relatively close by adversely affect things?
    I'm not sure if these stands are meant for HT use..

10. monkeyboy69

monkeyboy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I know what you mean about the B+W htm7 , it is huge and the wifes not keen on me geting it , but I believe I've worn her down enough now and think I can purchase it.
    I'm sorry to say I can't report any bad things (apart from its size) about the speaker , looks nice and sounds incredably detailed.

Put it this way I'm losing a fireplace and replacing it with a speaker, I know where my loyalties lie