1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Center speaker frequency rolloff ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by stevefish69, Apr 17, 2005.

1. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    I wonder if anyone can answer this quickie. Didn't really know if this belongs here or in speaker thread.

When i had my old Denon AVC-A10SE when using the frequency tests on DVE it seemed that the Center speaker was trying to reproduce all of the frequencies instead of re-directing <80Hz to the Sub.

I thought that this may be a fault with the amp until i recently upgraded to a AVC-A11SR. Once again it seems that all frequencies are being sent to the Center.

All other channels are OK, on amp setup all speakers are set to Small and 80Hz is the cutoff. I'm using Kef 2005.2 speakers/Sub

I am now considering upgrading my Center to a Kef model 100c or a Q6C as i feel that i'm missing out on detail that the speakers can't reproduce.(a good excuse for an upgrade anyway :D )

Maybe it's that normal DVD's don't have anything <80Hz encoded in the Center channel.

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Do you have your centre speaker set to "small" in your amplifier settings?

Also remember that these filters aren't "brick-wall" filters but will gradually roll off with frequency so you should expect the speaker to be receiving some signal below 80Hz anyway. :)

3. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    Just double checked on menu because i couldn't remember a small/large setting for Center.

Front = Small
    Center = Small (Large setting dissapears when front set to small)

Just double checked with DVE disc as well. Sub produces most of the stuff <80Hz but if you turn the Sub off and sweep you can hear the "Egg" start to cut in around 50Hz with ear to Port on front "Don't try this at home:eek:"

The other speakers do the same but the Center has a bit more of a rattle around 60-75Hz. Maybe it's the speaker but it's a good excuse to upgrade anyway.

Obviously even with the Amp rolling off low stuff to the Sub it seems that some gets through right down to around 50Hz although at a MUCH reduced rate.

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    That would seem about right. If the speakers didn't get some of the deeper information then I expect it would all sound a bit odd. :)