Center speaker choice - KEF Q vs. R

MacUsers

Dear all,

I'm a bit of in a funny situation - I have KEF Q750 as the front, Q150 as the surround, Q50a as the up-firing but T301c as the center, which I'm replacing to match the Eco-system. My first choice was Q650c but the space I have at top of the TV, it cannot fit (due to the height) neither can Q250c. Interestingly enough, I can fit a KEF R2c nicely, which is roughly about double the price. Apart from the price front, am I making the entire sound any worse, if not better at all, mixing only one R-series with rest Qs? The TV is in a custom-build recessed space and I need to modify the rack (increase the height) to go with all Q. Any advice/suggestions would be highly appreciated.

-San

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
I'd rather have a better sounding non matching center than a inferior sounding matching center. I've had a few kef centers, a couple of q, two reference...the reference in another class.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Dear all,

I'm a bit of in a funny situation - I have KEF Q750 as the front, Q150 as the surround, Q50a as the up-firing but T301c as the center, which I'm replacing to match the Eco-system. My first choice was Q650c but the space I have at top of the TV, it cannot fit (due to the height) neither can Q250c. Interestingly enough, I can fit a KEF R2c nicely, which is roughly about double the price. Apart from the price front, am I making the entire sound any worse, if not better at all, mixing only one R-series with rest Qs? The TV is in a custom-build recessed space and I need to modify the rack (increase the height) to go with all Q. Any advice/suggestions would be highly appreciated.

-San

Picture tells more than thousand words. We can only guess.. If you can place the R2c at ideal height and it isn´t hidden inside unit then it`s going to sound great! There is one clearance unit cheaper. You could try to haggle the price further down. 650£ at least.

MacUsers

Thanks @Gasp3621!!

I had a call with KEF this morning and the engineer didn't seem to want to encourage me to go for R2c. According to him, Q650c is my best bet and Q250c will be a bit of compromise but won't be that worse if using sub-woofer, which I do. He says, KEF maintains the sound-signature across the ranges but considering the price difference, it's only worth if that's absolutely the only size I can fit in. Need to make my mind. Also talking to my carpenter to see how much it's gonna cost to modify the upper section of the unit, where the center speaker gonna be.

Zarf2007

Thanks @Gasp3621!!

I had a call with KEF this morning and the engineer didn't seem to want to encourage me to go for R2c. According to him, Q650c is my best bet and Q250c will be a bit of compromise but won't be that worse if using sub-woofer, which I do. He says, KEF maintains the sound-signature across the ranges but considering the price difference, it's only worth if that's absolutely the only size I can fit in. Need to make my mind. Also talking to my carpenter to see how much it's gonna cost to modify the upper section of the unit, where the center speaker gonna be.
If I were you I would get the R2C and that way you can eventually upgrade to the R series for the rest a bit at a time! Speaking from experience the R2C sounds excellent as a centre speaker.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom