1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

center or surround?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by WeirdFish, Jun 28, 2003.

1. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have a Kef KHT2005 of which I need to replace/upgrade the faulty sub. I am also thinking of adding a center rear speaker as well seeing as I have permission to upgrade :smashin:

Now what do you reckon, do I.....

a. get another 'egg' to use as a center rear or

b. use my existing centre at the back and get a dedicated center speaker up front.

Obviously option b leads onto another question of what speaker?

thanks for your opinions, I hope:(

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The best front stage is always obtained when using three identical speakers so if you replace the centre with something different you may have problems with voice matching with sounds moving from speaker to speaker and sounding different as they pan across

3. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I think the importance of matching the front three is over stated. Adding a better centre (espcially if much better) will almost certainly lead to a better sound. Remember that the centre does more work than all the other speakers put together. You may hear the odd inconsistancy but thats about it. I'm currently running a Gallo due centre with Celestion C floor standers, they are VERY different sounding speakers but it still works. There is a lot to be said for going high-end on the centre to start with, you can always upgrade to matching fronts at a later stage. One advantage of using a different centre to the other 2 fronts is that they can compensate each others weaknesses and the otherall sound becomes less flavoured.

4. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I would imagine that problems would be minimised if I stick with a kef dedicated center speaker.