Center of attention (CRACKLING)

S

sdl

I have a Marantz SR6200 Receiver and Paradigm CC270 Center Channel. I have noticed that my center channel periodically gives a crackling sound during some speech (usually on lower toned male voices), and occasionally during loud action scenes, but not that often. This tends to happen more with the speech than it does during action scenes. I have read that some people experience this with certain DVD's (which is also in my case), but I also notice this while watching cable television (analog).

I checked with my local Marantz/Paradigm dealer and was told that I was pushing the center channel to hard. I had the individual speaker level settings set at +13. I was told to lower the speaker settings and see if that helps. Well, I lowered them as follow:

LF/RF +3
C +4
S +5
LS/RS +3

This did help some, but the ocassional crackling is still noticeable. Is this common or is there possibly something wrong with my receiver or speaker.

Is your centre speaker located on top of a TV? It could just be that you need to blu-tac it down or it could be that the centre, at certain frequencies, is making the TV chassis/case rattle which may give an effect similar to 'crackling'.

Yes, it sits on top of my Phillips projection T.V. I have replayed parts of a DVD and put my ear in front of the speaker. It sounds like it's coming from the tweeter.

Originally posted by sdl
It sounds like it's coming from the tweeter.

Have you tried slightly and carefully tightening up the tweeter driver screws? Sometimes these can become quite loose through normal usage.

I haven't tried that, but I will as soon as I get home tonight. At first I thought it was blown, but then figured if that was so then it would constantly do that and not ocassionally at certain frequencies. I just bought it about 6 months ago so I was told that I could bring it back in if there's a problem with it. I just want to do everything on my end before I have to get to that.

Thanks.

I have seen a cheap SR6200 and wondered about getting one.

Sdl what do you think of yours, should i go for the bargain or get the new SR5300 when it comes out??

Mac

I like it alot. I'm still trying to get used to it because my previous receiver was a low budget Techniques SADX model. Don't get me wrong the Techniques greatly served it's purpose, but the 6200 was definitely a step up. The main reason I choose this receiver is because of it's musical ability. I generally use it about 60% for movies and 40% for music, but when I listen to music I definitely want good sound and that's what Marantz is known for.

I now know what it means when I hear that they have a warm sound. It is not as forward and in your face as alot of other receivers, but I have come to appreciate that warm sound. I like the onscreen programming and DPLII (CSI-Circle surround is a little bright for me).

I have not looked at the specs for the 5300 so I can't comment on them. You should find the SR6200's at a good price right now. I don't think you can go wrong with it.

It has Dolby Pro Logic II, Circle Surround 5.1, Dolby Digital 6.1, DTS 6.1 I have not tried 6.1 yet because I am still using 5.1

I really don't have any room for 6.1 or 7.1 speakers. I thought about getting a receiver with 7.1, but I don't plan on moving for about another 4 years and by then they will probably have 10 or 12.1 HT systems so it just didn't make since for me to go for the additional channels at this time.

Mac,

The 6200 does have 7channel direct inputs and pre-amp outputs. I don't know if this helps you or not.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom