Center for B&W 685's

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by enigmamatt, Aug 26, 2013.

1. enigmamatt

enigmamatt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All --

I'm in the process of purchasing a new home theatre system and would appreciate some input. (Mods -- if this belongs in the "What Speakers Should I Buy" -- please move).

The room is 20' x 18'. It is pre-wired for surround and is setup for wall flush mounts in the back. The TV is mounted over the fireplace, and I'd like to just sit the center speaker on the mantle.

For the front left / right speakers I've just about decided on the B&W 685's. Seem like they will give a richer sound for this size room compared to the M1's. Planning to go with a Marantz SR5007 receiver. Where I'd appreciate input is:
    a) What is an appropriate center for this setup? Can an M1 center work with the 685's? I can't do the HTM62 due to the depth (I have about 6 inches to play with...not the 12)
    b) What would the appropriate flush mount rears be? Assume it's a model of B&W's, but not sure which.

Appreciate any input or pointing to threads I may have missed during my searches.

Matt

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    Given that the centre takes over 60% of the total sound output it is not a speaker to compromise and since you have gone with the 6 series for front L/R then I would really go for the matching centre and not an M1. Also a speaker is not going to sound its best sat on the mantle (or any shelf for that matter). You would be better wall mounting it above the TV than have them on the mantle or have a compromised centre due to lack of space below.
    As for the rears do you mean in wall speakers or on wall speakers?

3. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    My Dad had the same dilemma with his centre placement, he ended up swapping his speakers for some Monitor Audio Bronze because the centre is only about 18cm deep.

4. Philw101

Philw101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    I agree with PSM1 here! The centre speaker is arguably the most important speaker in the setup (coupled with the front LR) The HTM62 is a good speaker, the HTM61 unfortunately isn't and sounds terrible.

I personally think the mounting of a TV above a fireplace is probably one of the worst places anyone could place it! You will never be able to obtain the correct sound for a centre speaker this way, if you wall mount a speaker, it would sound awful - any bass/mid response would be lost. (Especially if its a large centre like the HTM62). Placing the centre on its own stand will make it too low.

Shame you can't move the TV? ;)