Center channel upgrade help

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Bear23, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Bear23

Bear23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I am a complete newbie to this forum and need some help with speakers.

Basically, I have a Logitech system at the moment (Logitech Z906) and I'm looking to upgrade one or two of the satellite speakers, specifically the center channel as a starting point.

Below are the specs for the Logitech system I have:

Total watts (RMS) 500 watts
    -Subwoofer: 165 watts (6 ohms, at 52 Hz, at 10% THD)
    -Satellites: 335 watts RMS (5 x 67 watts per channel (4 ohms at 3.85kHz, at 10% THD)
    -Maximum SPL: > 110dBC
    -Frequency response: 35 Hz - 20 KHz
    -Amplifier, Ultra Efficient Class d
    -Imput Impedance: 8, 000 ohms, min
    -Signal to Noise ratio, A-weighted: >95dB
    -Drivers:
    Satellites: 3'' polished aluminum phase plug drivers
    Subwoofer: 8'' high-excursion ported driver with 6th-order bass reflex enclosure

The problem I've been having is that the vast majority of speakers do not have an impedance of 4 ohm so I've spent quite a bit of time looking online trying to find a center channel with the right impedance. I found one earlier, MJ Acoustics XENO XC1 Speaker System | eBay. I thought I had the nail on the head here as it looks a good speaker, but I phoned the hi-fi store who is selling it and had a chat with one of the tech guys there. I told him that I had a Logitech system and that I required a 4 ohm speaker. He assured me, several times, that this speaker, or in fact, any other 4 ohm speaker (unless it's from the manufacturer Logitech) will not work with the Logitech system. He said that PC speakers have a low power output and they are only designed to work with the satellites that are provided with the system and so it is not possible to chop and change satellite speakers. He said that they may work at first, but there would be a very low output from the speaker and I'd have to turn the volume right up to hear anything and this would eventually blow the Z906 amp after a few weeks and I'd have a dud system. Impedance and sensitivity are therefore irrelevant in this case, even if I used a 4 ohm speaker with a high impedance it wouldn't work properly.

Do you know if this guys right? He seemed very sure of himself and had a lot of experience. Can someone advise me on this and whether this upgrade speaker would work? Thanks