1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Center channel speaker with the AVR300

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Jim_R, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Jim_R

Jim_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using an AVR300 along with a pair of quad ESL-57s and a Velodyne B-1500F subwoofer. I do not yet own a center or rear speakers. This weekend, I am auditioning a MartinLogan Theater i center channel speaker. I noticed that all of the Dolby 5.1 channels (on cable television broadcasts), as well as most of the non-Dobly 5.1 channels work fine. However, there are a number of non-Dolby 5.1 television channels which only send a signal to the center channel. Using the mode button on the AVR300's remote, I can send that signal to the front stereo speakers only, but not to the center and stereo speakers together. Is this normal? Is there a work-around? Also, does anyone have any experience with MartinLogan products? I am trying to match up the center and rears with my electrostatic Quads. I have previously auditioned the Magnepan home theater speakers. I really liked the rears, but thought the center speaker was a little tinny. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    If you use Dolby Prologic 2 as the surround mode for non Dolby 5.1 material it will try to make use of all the speakers that are present, although most of the sound comes predominantly from the centre channel.

3. parrydave

parrydave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Several channels on Sky for example, are broadcast in quite "low-level" stereo, i.e. almost mono. If you apply PLII(movie) processing to these channels, everything comes out of the centre. Nothing from any of the other speakers at all.

However, you can improve things for such channels with PLII(music) where you can mix between the front 3 speakers by tweaking centre width etc. The rears may even see a little of the action in this setup.