1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Center Channel Problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by walkersurfer, Jan 18, 2003.

1. walkersurfer

walkersurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have got a volume problem with the center channel.
    During test tone the sound from all speakers is equal
    however during dvd playback the center channel is noticably quieter, in fact it seems to lack the general quality of the other channels it sounds flat, boring and uneventful.
    my system consists of the following
    Yamaha DSP-AX630E amp
    Toshiba SD2109 DVD
    Pace digital satalite decoder
    Toshiba V854B Video Recorder
    Toshiba 32Z13B TV
    The amp is connected via coaxial and analog to the DVD
    All other conections are analog (phono cables)

Any advice would be appreciated

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If the above is a complete list of your equipment, the source of your problem could well be a lack of speakers. :)

3. walkersurfer

walkersurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah yeh

thanks Ian it would seem that I forgot to list the speakers for my system so here we go
    center Canon S-C20
    Front main Tannoy 632
    Rear Canon
    Sub bass Jamo SW400E
    Alternative fronts wharfedale valdus 100

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I would guess that the problem is a missmatch between your main front speakers and the centre. Ideally all three would be identical or at least from the same manufacturur's range but you have got a pretty decent pair of British main speakers with a budget Japanese centre.

Whilst they may all reproduce a test tone similarly, that won't happen when it's real dialogue.

My suggestion would be to try and find a Tannoy centre speaker that matches the 632's

Rears are also a bit of a missmatch but IMO that isn't so much of a problem as my rears don't match the fronts either.

5. walkersurfer

walkersurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your advice Ian but I don't think I gave you enough information.
    As you know the center channel is weak when using the dvd player, however, if I switch to the digital satelite receiver the whole system comes alive, the sound is much more dynamic and it is also seems louder for the same volume setting. I have run a dvd lens cleaner through the dvd player and the sound tests seemed OK, but it made little or no difference to the sound reproduction when watching a film.
    I have tried watching many different movies and all produce the same low volume from the center channel.
    Yes I agree that there could be a miss-match of speakers but on this occasion I'm not sure, this is only because of the satelite sounds so much better, and it is connected via phonos, infact I would go as far as to say that the Wharfedale's sound better than the Tannoy's

Thanks again
    Phil

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Try disconnecting the Canon centre and connecting up one of the Wharfedales and see whether that cures the problem. If it does it is the Canon speaker that's causing the problem.

7. walkersurfer

walkersurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Done that already, no it doesn't make any difference, its still got low volume when using the dvd but OK when using another source
    thanks Phil

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I'm stuck now so it's over to someone else I'm afraid.

9. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +325
    I get the same problem only i have a Marantz 6200 and a B&w CC6 centre speaker, bloody annoying this. I tried a different speaker still crap! As you say it just sounds lifeless and flat. I sometimes have problems with the centre being overpowered by my front channels. I even bought a spm to set the channels all the same but feel i need to crank the centre up. Doing this seems to distort the channel.
    This is my second Marantz amp [other had delay problem and centre trouble] my mate has bought the new 6300 and he has a older B&w centre, see what this is like.

10. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    How are you measuring the test tones from each speaker ?

Kev

11. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would agree with Ian here, the centre speakers is the main problem.

The reason you are getting better results with other sources is you are probably listening to them via dolby pro-logic, this format doesn't have discrete channels so whats happening is the dialogue is being fed to your mains as well as the centre, that's why your getting the fuller sound. When you listen to 5.1 the centre is discrete, and if you have a poor centre it will stick out like a sore thumb, much in the way you have described, one way to improve this situation would be to get a centre that was a better match to your mains. Something from the Tannoy range should do the job.

12. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +325
    I am using Video essentials, setting Marantz at ref point [zero db] then calibrating each speaker at 75db inc Sub. I will add that my front speakers are floorstanders [kef] with a higher sensitivity than the CC6 and Mission cyrus speakers i have tried. Would this make that much difference. The centre does seem noticeabally weaker since i got the Marantz amp, and i didnt get this problem with my previous amps.

13. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure on the exact setup, but on my Pioneer 656 you can adjust the levels for each channel on the player itself before the signal is sent to the amp.

I've never used it, so I've no idea if it affects the levels sent via a digital connection or just the analogue decoded signals.

Maybe check this on your player and see whether using the coaxial input is different to using the analogue inputs (assuming you have the 6 channel inputs).

Cheers

Ian

14. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    You've probably already all this but checked this but ...

When using the DVD player ...
    ... have you selected the digital input, not the analogue input. To check for sure ... try disconnecting the analogue cable detween the DVD player and the amp.

... do the little symbols on the LCD light up to tell you that the correct channels are being used. For films that are in 5.1 you should get 3 front channels, 2 rear ones, plus a light for LFE.

... make sure that it's outputting the digital signal in the correct format ... the DVD player will probably in it's setup allow you to change from outputting the raw Bitstream though it's Digi-out, to outputting a downmixed 2ch version of the soundtrack in PCM format.

... do you get the same "effect" with both Dolby Digital and also DTS soundtracks?

After checking all these things, if you're still getting problems, then if you can borrow a DVD player off a friend, this would be worth doing and then you can work out if the problem is with your amp or the DVD plater.

oh ... and I agree with everyone else that you really should look at replacing the centre with something that will match your Tannoy fronts better.

Victoria

15. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I had the same problem with my 630, I swapped the speaker cable round the other way (I'm fairly sure I had it wired up correctly in the first place, but I've not double checked) and it was loads better.

Before it sounded ok with sky+, but really quiet with DVDs, now its much much better.

I'm planning on checking tonight if I did org wire up the speaker correctly or not, if I did then the amps incorrectly wired :rolleyes:

16. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +325
    Well i have changed my dvd player since getting amp and its made no difference. Pretty sure its set up right as all the channels light up on amp!
    Interesting what Brian has reported as i did this myself [swapped wires RED TO BLACK ETC] and found it boosted the channel also on vidoe essentials disc the test for in and out of phase didnt sound any different with the wires connected correctly [RED TO RED ETC] i have not tried it with wires other way round. Surely Marantz havent got the channels wired wrong!
    Anyone else got this, and if it is the amp what can i do about it ? Would i be entitled to a replacement unit.