1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Center back or two surround back speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by EN, Jun 3, 2003.

1. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if someone has tryed those two different setups? Which sounds better?
    Is there anything to do with te room size?

Thanks,
    EN

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    I've tried several different combinations and finally settled for two surround back speakers positioned next to each other and angled down towards my chair. I think room size/shape does have a lot to do with it, so it's best to experiment. :)

3. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    The idea of two back surround speakers is to create a stereo effect from a mono source.
    Dolby reccomend they be placed either side of the listening position.
    Mine are about 3' apart and it sounds pretty good to me.

4. Bogside

Bogside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +361
    I've subscribed to this to see people's opinions but I'm now confused by most recent reply.

Is the original question a comparison of 6.1 to 7.1? Or is it a comparison of 5.1 to some sort of 4.1 (is that what you've done Jase)?

I originally thought that this was a look at whether, in a 6.1 set-up, it would be possible to replace the rear centre with 2 back speakers instead?

As I said - I'm now comfused!:confused: :confused:

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    When the first EX format appeared (THX Surround EX) they originally specified two surround back speakers but they both output the same mono signal. They also suggested they should be placed a few feet apart. This was to overcome the strange problem that when a speaker is placed directly behind you, the sound can sometimes appear as though it's coming from in front of you. Having two speakers placed apart stopped that, hence the need for seven channel amplifiers.

All that seems to have been brushed by the wayside and you can now have a single speaker placed behind you and explains why the majority of amps/receivers with EX/ES decoding have only six channels of amplification.

THX now specify with their THX Ultra 2 processing that seven channels of amplification are still needed and that the surround back speakers should be placed directly next to each other or as near as possible to each other. An amp with this decoding format should have an option in the setup to allow you to specify the distance between these two speakers.

In my case I just tried various combos of different types of speakers (dipoles etc) and stuck with what sounded best (two direct radiating speakers).:)

6. Bogside

Bogside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +361
    Cheers Jase. That's what I thought the discussion was about. Thanks for clarifying things for me.

7. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you.
    So, I read somewhere that all four surround speakers must be the same.
    Now I'm using two dipole/bipole surround speakers JAMO D-series.
    What is your suggesting - same ones or direct radiating speakers? What about teh height of all of them?

Thanks,
    EN

8. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Ideally all the surround speakers would be the same or at least tonally match each other. It depends on what combination you finally decide on though (dipoles, bipoles, direct radiating, tripoles).

For me, in my room, a pair of direct radiating speakers worked best. With regards to height, I have the side surrounds at around 1-2ft above my head with the surround backs higher at around 2-3ft but angled down.

It might be different for you in your room so try various speaker positions and choose what sounds best.:)