Cemetery Junction Blu-ray Review & Comments

Tech News

Reaction score
Reviewed by Cas Harlow, 5th September 2010.
Cemetery Junction is a nice little, quintessentially British affair, a 70s period-set romantically-infused, comedically-incidental drama which offers up Ricky Gervais’s own personal take on life within the (then small) town of Reading. Bursting with fresh Brit talent and brought to life by their convincing performances, it works well both as a nod to times gone and a reflective medium for the modern age. It’s neither weighty nor overtly substantial, and will likely leave you pleasantly entertained for the duration, rather than pondering or excited for long after, but it is definitely one of Gervais’s best projects, and is worth a watch.

On Region Free UK Blu-ray it comes with adequate and unglamorous video and audio – which is perfectly suitable for the material – as well as a plethora of quality extras that fans of the film will definitely want to check out. If you’ve seen it and like it, then this is purchase a no-brainer must-buy, but newcomers who are drawn by either the Ricky Gervais label, or the more comedic angle of this offering, should realise that this is definitely more of a coming-of-age drama, than a romantic – or comedic – film. But that does not make it any less enjoyable. Worth a rent if you’re interested.
Read the full review...

This looks like it's worth a viewing. I did not see, or fancy seeing The Invention of Lying. I like The Office and Extras but although quite funny he hasn't really convinced me with his stand up.

No such qualms about him as a writer though. He and his writing partner Stephen Merchant have a superb ear for dialogue and can capture the mundane in a way only bettered by Alan Bennet or Victoria Wood. He is able to gain some sympathy with even quite ghastly egotistical characters and fully understands how to inject pathos without becoming bogged down in sentiment.

I also like his unflashy style of directing and hope that this has the same feel to it. It has a look of good British films of recent decades - by Mike Leigh or Shane Meadows for instance - and that is more than fine with me.

I watched it last week and totally enjoyed it,very funny in parts of it

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom