Cello P50ANSMT-4K LCD TV Review & Comments

Interesting read. Looks like Cello have a LOT of "behind the scenes" work to get this set to the point that even people who just want a 4K TV that comes out of the box, is turned on, & looks OK enough will buy it.
But in general buying a not-so-good 4K versus a tried & tested 1080p set just sounds like someone wanting to impress their friends (Yeah it's 4K), or wanting "the best" without knowing what 4K actually is.

These brands always appear on the bargain sites and sell well to the value (older/general watch all viewer) shopper who will wait till the sales, rush to their supermarket of choice and be happy at the price more than what they are missing visually. Namely, an experience that's not so garish as to be stuck in a 60's LSD induced moving colour fest. The notion that being able to afford a new generation large telly for relatively little is king. And who needs HDR when you have such picture deviations 'built in'.

It’s not even good value. £499 is very expensive for what looks like a piece of crap. You can get entry level Phillips, Samsung’s, Hitachi’s etc for under that money. A quick scan at Argos shows a 50 inch Hitachi with HDR for £349. I’m sure it’s not fantastic but I bet it’s better than this at £150 less.

I’m an annoying friend. I go to mates’ houses and start fiddling with their TV settings. None of my friends even appear to notice they have aggressive motion smoothing in place that makes film appear like an episode of Coronation Street. I have yet to come across anybody else who changes the picture mode from whatever it shipped in.

Normal people really don’t care. At this end of the market, price is king. Second place is brand name. It’s here that Cello will suffer, if anywhere. Nobody will give a toss about accuracy or adjustability.

Last edited:
I wouldn't talk to any of my family or friends ever again, for even just looking at this screen in a shop, let alone buy it :eek:

I think you're being a bit generous to the size of Cello's engineering team. An old tablet-based Android suggests this is primarily a far east import, with maybe a little work by Cello to improve translations etc. (although 'personal' instead of 'user' mode could well in engrish).

I’m an annoying friend. I go to mates’ houses and start fiddling with their TV settings. None of my friends even appear to notice they have aggressive motion smoothing in place that makes film appear like an episode of Coronation Street.

Motion quality is a poor example because film-style motion is more artificial and less realistic than higher frame rates, even if it's closer to what the director intended. Many people would go for that even if they were required to make an explicit decision on TV set up.

@BRAKKUS1 Oh, I'd look at it in a shop, or even in somebody's house! The experience won't kill me - I hope!

@Phil Hinton It's unusual to have an RCA output on a television these days, I haven't seen an RCA output for at least three years.

There’s certainly a market for TVs of this standard / price point.

You only have to check out HUKD to see the likes of Polaroid causing a stir to know that.

AVF does turn you into a bit of a snob though doesn’t it!?

With that said, I wouldn’t put one in my toilet let alone my living room :D

Motion quality is a poor example because film-style motion is more artificial and less realistic than higher frame rates, even if it's closer to what the director intended. Many people would go for that even if they were required to make an explicit decision on TV set up.

I accept your point since it is of course correct. I was though alluding to the fact that normal people don’t even notice the difference between visuals that have a “movie” quality (24 fps) and that which is more video like. If they don’t notice such differences, then having controls available to change them will make zero difference to the attractiveness of a potential TV purchase.

Oh, this is rather disappointing.

£500 is a price point that is at the limit of affordability for many - £300 being too cheap for good quality and £1000 way out of budget - and at the very least there should be at least one preset that isn't painful to watch.

I quite like the idea of a new brand coming in and putting a rocket up the backside of the established names, as it forces them to up their game and raise standards even at the bottom of their ranges.

I suppose the good news is that it won't take a lot of tweaking at Cello's end to implement some of the changes suggested in this review, so they could still sell it at this price point but with an industry-standard picture that could be shipped as the default setting for those who are allergic to changing anything on their TV's.

At least £399 too expensive.
Are you chaps gunna review this years super cheap Toshiba’s?
They have a hell of a feature set (on paper) for the same money as this junk.

I’m an annoying friend. I go to mates’ houses and start fiddling with their TV settings. None of my friends even appear to notice they have aggressive motion smoothing in place that makes film appear like an episode of Coronation Street. I have yet to come across anybody else who changes the picture mode from whatever it shipped in.

Normal people really don’t care. At this end of the market, price is king. Second place is brand name. It’s here that Cello will suffer, if anywhere. Nobody will give a toss about accuracy or adjustability.

Big fan of the Soap Opera Effect here I'm afraid. Each to their own, but silly smooth motion is my top priority. The 'look' works for me. Loved it on my plasma, love it on my OLED.

At least £399 too expensive.
Are you chaps gunna review this years super cheap Toshiba’s?
They have a hell of a feature set (on paper) for the same money as this junk.

Yeah, Vestel are always massively under-reviewed for a brand which such a large proportion of the TV market. It'd be good to keep track of how good their top end models are.

Sounds like an "avoid at all costs!"

Think I will keep hold of my KS7000 for now :p

Sounds like their development budget wasn't much.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom