CELL Processor realtime raycasting

Smak

This video demonstartes CELL's ability to perform raycasting in realtime, the video shows the same terrain tech demo first shown at E3'05 although now with some commentry by an IBM employee.

The demo is runing on a single 3.2GHz CELL - [email protected] with adaptive multisampling AA, no additional GPU (RSX)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV_95-rmYNo

Here is another video of different CELL applications, again no GPU just a single CELL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CciOOBej_mo&mode=related&search=

clarky78

WOW. Major techy, but sounds impressive.

The second video is impressive how it does that in real time.

mattym

Banned
interesting stuff, the IBM guys were trying very hard not to mention playstation though!

Smak

For anyone that missed the E3'05 terrain tech demo this video shows it better than the above...

Terrain Video -> http://www.kikizo.com/viewer/vidview_games.asp?games/e32005/kikizo_ps3_landscape_demo1_hd.wmv

more details for those interested..

30+ frames per second with only one Cell processor
– No graphics adapter assist
– 1280x720 (HD 720P) resolution
HD 1080P at 30+ frames per second via 2 way SMP
Advanced SPE shader function
– Ray/Terrain intersection computation
– Texture Filtering
– Normal computation
– Bump map computation
– Diffuse + Ambient lighting model
– Perlin Noise based clouds
– Atmosphere computation (haze, sun, halo)
– Dynamic multi-sampling (4 – 16 samples per
– Image based input (16 bit height + 16 bit texture)
– 29 KB of SPE object code
– 224 KB of SPE local store data
M-JPEG compression via SPE
Performance scales linearly with number of available
Written completely in C with intrinsics

runam0k

Impressive indeed but I'm not sure what it means in the real world of PS3 game development. As yet I still haven't seen anything worthy of one whole year of technological advances...

bishman

runam0k said:
Impressive indeed but I'm not sure what it means in the real world of PS3 game development. As yet I still haven't seen anything worthy of one whole year of technological advances...
:confused: What 1 year technological advances? Are you talking about the fact that the PS3 is released one year later than the 360? It's not had any technological advances in that time, it would have been first released in March 06 if things hadn't been delayed.

runam0k

bishman said:
:confused: What 1 year technological advances? Are you talking about the fact that the PS3 is released one year later than the 360? It's not had any technological advances in that time, it would have been first released in March 06 if things hadn't been delayed.
I keep forgetting... :)

Pebb

It really shows the PS3 can do CGI graphics in real time, once you start using the power of the CPU and GPU together.

ahin4114

Novice Member
On quite large environments too. This is one of the best things about the next gen consoles, the depth they can bring to the environment, the ability to explore large worlds without straining the machine to within an inch of it's life modelling it.