1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Celestion

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Colonel Burton, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi, can anyone tell me if this is any good or point me in the right direction of a review of this setup Celestion 300 cheers :)

2. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this is an amazing setup that retails at £1600 sound quality for both music and movie is acceptable and the celestion AVP300 speaker pack is similar spec to the mk1 kef eggs
    However i've seen it at respectable places for less than £1000

3. ngeorge

ngeorge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The system is on sale at SuperFi for £799 - 50% off! :thumbsup:

4. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks guys
    this is why i asked as i saw it in the shop window (in sheffield) at the same price just needed to know if it was worth getting or not

5. Nippy_Kangaroo

Nippy_Kangaroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

cool, which shop did you see it in? :smashin:

6. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
  7. Nippy_Kangaroo

Nippy_Kangaroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is it any good? I was thinking about buying a denon 770 aio for £750 before i saw you post :(

lol i dont need to look at a review ... it must be good for £1500 ;)

8. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I don’t really know if it’s any good I was hoping for a members experience with this system but like you said can’t be all that bad for 1500 squid but if anyone else as an opinion please post it :)

9. Nippy_Kangaroo

Nippy_Kangaroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just found this review over at home cinema site http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=2487

and this one which it recieves editors choice of the month http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=2556

http://www.celestion.co.uk/information/reviews/pdf/ultimatedvd_aug03.pdf

10. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Did you or anyone else get Celestion 300 system? i`m still towing with getting that one or maybe this setup advise and suggestions always appreciated

11. Nippy_Kangaroo

Nippy_Kangaroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Noop not yet, I'm still waiting for contracts to be exchanged on sale of house... should be in nxt 2 weeks but I think I'm going to go with the denon 770 package from super hifi for 750ish as it suits my needs and looks cool (love the wooden sub ) :smashin:

12. DickieNibbles

DickieNibbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Used to work for the company... AVS300 system is well specified: component out and prog scan (if memory serves me correctly), multi-region from remote and speaker package sounded better than KEF Mk1 'eggs' (same company!). Sounded excellent for £1500, £750 is an absolute steal and certainly better quality than anything else for that money.

13. rons

rons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just took delivery today!

Have only been quickly able to try the DVD out, but I'm absolutely blown away by the picture quality. RGB on my oldish 28" Panasonic appears so much better than my Toshiba SD330E that I've been double checking the Toshibas outputting RGB!
    I feel the manuals and remote leave alot to be desired though.
    Been unable to test the receiver or the AVP305 speaker package, as accessing the wiring/connections on my existing Yamaha/Rogers setup is rather fiddley. Can't really see this happening in the near future either... real shame.

Pricewise £199.95 at Superfi.co.uk for the AVR/DVD package is an absolute bargain, as for the speakers, try looking on Unbeatable.co.uk then mention it to Superfi, it worked for me. :smashin:

14. mcaw

mcaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Expecting delivery today of the DVD/Reciever from Superfi, and the avp305 speakers from Unbeatable. For £500 I think it will take some beating on sound looks and size.
    I spoke to a technical guy from celestion about the vga output it lists on their web site. He confirmed it was only on the Asian models, Euro models have the scart. Couldn't believe the price £199 for the dvd/rec, and said it was the bargain of the year, whether it is will become apparent. I asked if it was a clone of another dvd player, and he said no, it was built by them, but shared components with (I think )
    Arcam and Nad players. He put it in quality terms somewhere between the two. Also said he thought it used the Zorran chipset.

15. fuzzy

fuzzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had the celestion speaker package (5 satellites and a sub) for about two years now. Been quite happy with it though have never got around to buying the floorstanders due to space. It cost me £800 so sounds like you have a bargain :)

16. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Let us know what you think to it m8 as i`m still not quite sure wheather to get this one or go the seperates way and spend a lot more

17. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have just seen the Celestion package too. When you said talk to superfi and mention unbeatable about speakeres - were you on about the Denon Speaker package (SYSa 3L 5.1) £300 that would total £500, or the Celestion Package which i cant find on unbeatable?
    I need a new DVD player but if i can 'upgrade' from my Panny SAXR45 receiver (have no DVD player anymore) at the same time what a bonus. I probably need to downsize my Acoustic Energy AV Speakers as i am not going to have room for them so speakers will be needed. If not will it handle power Aegis Evo 3 Floorstanders, Evo Centre & compact rears as its only 45w per channel when 5.1?
    Cheers.
    PS Happy with it all set up and tested?

18. rons

rons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like Unbeatable aren't stocking the Celestion package at the moment.
    They had them in stock as I had Superfi beat their price so I could buy the entire AVR/DVD300 and AVP305 package for £505.90!!!
    Quick demo with my existing Rogers LS33/AB33 fronts, Rogers CS33 centre, Rogers LS1 rears (and a BK XLS200 sub) setup, at a sensible volume level and I was very impressed, I feel the AVR/DVD package at £200 is a real bargain.
    I was slightly concerned the AVP305 speakers would be too bright as I've seen this mentioned in reviews, but again I've not really experienced this in my short demo. Using a Yamaha/ Marantz setup.
    Sorry I can't review the entire setup together but the cabling going to my Rogers fronts is diy based around CAT5 network cable and is just too big to go into the Celestion terminals.
    I would definately get the electronics package as this is fantastic value for money, use it to drive your existing speakers if you've room, you won't be disappointed. If the AVP305 speakers become available at the £300 mark then buy them then.

19. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the reply. i think i will 'risk it' and get them! At the original price getting reviews that it did, iot must be a sure bet!

2 things though, in multi channel mode, as its only 45W - is it loud enough? Also is the picture through RGB scart good enough - all the reviews seem to be watching via progressive scan which i dont have yet (and dont need as i expect when i can afford something to display progressive scan, it'll all be digital DVI/HDMI connections anyway!)

I dont want to start a war with any neighbours but i also like a bit of 'clout' when the mood takes me!
    As for speakers i will keep an eye open for them. If they should re-appear around £300 then i may just buy them. If i can house my AE Speakers though - job done!
    Now all i have to do is sell my SAXR 45!!

20. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    I got the Celestion setup from Superfi on Saturday. The kit looks very nice and the DVD gives a decent picture with prog scan (on a par with my HK25).

The big problem for me is the remote (which looks like a Panasonic TV remote) as it also controls functions on my LG TV.

Volume up on the TV=DVD on standby
    Volume down on the TV=tray open/close on the DVD
    Enter on the DVD player=change inputs on the TV

Unbelievable in this day and age as it makes the kit completely unusable. I'm gonna mail Superfi about sending mine back (never bothered trying the amp after that).

I had a DVD player before that controlled one function on a Samsung TV, but i've never had this much crossover between 2 bits of kit.

Is a shame cos the kit looks really nice.

21. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    Ive just ordered the celestion package today as at £199 is a no brainer.It will be used in the bedroom which is why i dont mind chancing it.Dont know which speakers to get yet (dont like the styling of the celestion speakers) but thought about the little monitor audio radius speakers with say a bk subwoofer should sound pretty good.
    Cheers Gonzo. :)

22. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    the manmade/natural materials i read about makes no sense to me! Is it plastic or what? Would you say it was kiddy proof? Also, anyone looked at an non-progressive image on a TV?

23. capt_janeway

capt_janeway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
  24. Marine Boy

Marine Boy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There has to be a catch, £800 to £199 in around 18 months?? I have a pair of KEF Q3's and and thinking about the the AVR300 +DVD300 as they get top reviews + look great (i think the wife will tolerate them). Will the amp do justice to the KEF's? I'd hate to sell them short for want of spending a few more quid!

25. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    From looking at the specs the amp should be ok with the q3s, there amp power rating between 15 and 120 watts and also 91db efficiency the avr300 will give you 60 watts per channel in stereo and 45 watts all 5 channels driven and all in a respectable 0.08% thd which is excellent, check out the distortion levels on a lot of slim av receivers and most state max power ratings with 10% thd which says it all.At £100 for each unit in my opinion its a no brainer and as you said yourself it got good reviews at £800.
    Cheers Gonzo.

26. Marine Boy

Marine Boy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll pick em up next week! Can you recommend a discreet centre speaker to go with my Q3/celestion set up. It will sit directly below my telly I've got the wife on my side so far but I feel the size of that big Kef centre would be simply too much and i'd be found out! Something compatable in light maple/video silver would be nice.

27. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    Dont know too much about the kefs but if you post in the speakers forum iam sure somebody will have some info on what would be compatable for a centre.
    Cheers Gonzo.

28. abraxas

abraxas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can now get the speaker package at £349.95 online at superfi.com. Even better value now!!! Took delivery last week and installing at the moment

29. Nippy_Kangaroo

Nippy_Kangaroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Abraxas, :hiya:

did you get your celestion up and running and is it any good? reason I'm asking is because I have ordered the celestion package including the speakers and wondered if picture amd sound quality is any good, are they better than the usual cinema system you buy from comet which cost £300 ish?

30. abraxas

abraxas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Got them all wired up and am pleasantly surprised with sound although still trying them out to find bets settings.

Used to have Mission 751 fronts, Wharfedale Valdus Centre, Eltax Bipole rear and Paradigm PS1000 running through Yamaha E800 Processor and was worried that the sound would not compare. As you can see the previous system was built up over a few years and add ons, but now got to the stage where wife doesn't want all the boxes, etc, etc, so had to go for satellite speakers. Good picture quality from DVD and sound at least equal to previous and goes more than loud enough in a 18 x 21 room. Need to play around with the sub woofer to get the balance right, but at £200 nfor the DVD and Receiver and £349 for speakers I think its a bargain!! Only real issue is the remote which I find a real pain to use - keep forgetting to switch from DVD to AV functions

In terms of £300 packages from comet I haven't really heard many of them, but I would be surprised if they compare and they certainly won't have the same looks - the Celestion speakers with grills off look great