1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Celestion Ditton's

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Nixon, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Nixon

Nixon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys (& gals),

I have recently aqquired a pair of georgeous Celestion Ditton 44's. These are my first set of 'real' speakers yet. I am currently in the middle of buying an amplifier (maranzt 4300/yam 440) and was wonding what these sounded like? Has anybody else had a pair, oh yeah and how should I wire them when I get the amp? they are:

4-8 ohms
    44 watt normal loading

My new amplifier is going to be able to send 80/90 watts down each channel will this be a problem?

Thanks. Jack

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Nice speakers. Lovely, warm sound without being indistinct, and quite capable or reproducing subsonics down to a few hz.

IIRC the max power handling of these was quite low (less than the 80/90w you quote) but this isn't an issue. They are VERY efficient (ie produce lots of noise for few watts).

It is usually safer to have an amp rated higher than the speakers (rather than the other way around) because, overdriven speakers very quickly begin to sound 'nasty' and you are thus prompted to reduce the level, whereas and overdriven amp will sound less 'nasty' but may produce excessive HF levels (clipping) which can wreck your tweeters before you realise you are doing it.

I have a pair of Ditton 66's (no longer in regular use, unfortunately - space reasons). And ONE of them produces room-filling volume from an old mono portable radio rated at 3 watts RMS. The 44's were similar in this respect.

Enjoy....

3. Nixon

Nixon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So.... say my amplifier can send 80 watts to each channel and the speakers are only 44 (i think) if i turn the amp up too high could it damage the speakers?

4. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Yes. But, as I say, if and when you do this, the speakers will sound so 'nasty' that you WILL turn it down before it's been long enough to do any harm. Unless you are hearing impaired or extremely careless.

Bear in mind that, at even fairly high listening levels, the full power of the amp will only ever be used for very brief moments and the speakers will cope with this unsustained overloading.

And, because they are so efficient, you WILL be inclined to keep the amp power down. An under-run amp produces a cleaner signal than an over-run one. There is nothing wrong with using these speakers and this amp, unless, as I say, you behave irresponsibly with it.

5. Nixon

Nixon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks and you can be sure that I will be carefull with them. There a prized possesion.

6. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Indeed. They don't make them like they used to........

7. Eros69

Eros69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nixon please note your beautiful ditton 44s are actually rated at 10 - 80 watts per speaker ...NOT 44 as you thought ..i collect the dittons ..welcome to the best sound in the world and enjoy them ...

8. unrealdave

unrealdave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi

I also collect dittons, and I use an arcm pre with 2 arcam fmj P1 mono blocks with some 66's - have also used this with some 44's some 442's some 15's some 551's etc and no problems - the P1's give 170 watts each speaker at 8ohms and 250 at 4 ohms.

Usually the more power the better the sound, just dont turn the volume up all the way!:smashin:

You are far more likely to damage the 44's with an underpower amp turned up as this will give distortion and blow the tweeters (HF2000) - the tweeters sell for £50 each on ebay.

btw if you like the 44's you would be amazed by the 66's, and if you get an chance to get some 551's or UL10's go for it - they have a dome mid as well and sound cracking!:smashin:

9. Nixon

Nixon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dave,

Talk about bringing a post from the past up lol, 5 years ago when I first posted this mate! Only a wee lad of 15 back then and I'm touching 21 now :eek:

I've still got my beautiful set of 44's running, on the same amp (Marz SR4300) and they're continuing to serve me well. They've been put through their paces as they've seen me through my early teens and now I'm at Uni.

They've made a few friends along the line such as my rear JBL Control 1's and my Tannoy MXc center and they seem to compliment each other perfectly.

I'll keep my eyes open for the others you mention, are they the same sort of size as my 44's?

Regards,
    Jack

10. unrealdave

unrealdave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi

That will teach me to check the post dates!

Yes the other speakers I mentioned are about the same size but have much better mids.

Good luck at uni

Dave

11. Eros69

Eros69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi yes the 66s are next on my list i have a pair of 44s still have the original boxes too they are in mint condition also a pair of beaten up 33s and pair of 22s ..next on my list is 2 pairs of 66s
    Im looking forward to getting these i will be travelling to france and germany to get these which shoud be fun

Does anybody have advice for me ..i want to make new cabinets for the 33s but will not use mdf or chipboard .. i heard somewhere that its better to renew the resistors and electronics on the crossovers is thsi true ? if so is it easy

also could do with advice on a top amplifier to use with my 44s oops i made mistake by the way ..i stil have the users data sheet they are actually 10-100 watts not 10-80 thats the 22s and 33s ..apologies for that folks

12. steve4

steve4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,

have just bought some ditton 25's as they were ones my dad had when i was a young'un - are they generally deemed to be the black sheep of the ditton range - ie not as good!! i knocked back some 44's recently thinking i wanted the 25's......

i am in the market for perhaps the 44's and or the 66's at the moment but perhaps am naive to think money can just buy them....any ideas how i can get some....are you considering letting some of yours go??

cheers
    steve

13. steve4

steve4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you are not interested in freeing up some storage space and selling thosee 66's are you?

steve

14. Nixon

Nixon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haha join the queue steve4, a reasonably priced pair of 66's are a nightmare to find. ;)

15. albriscoe

albriscoe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Blooming Hummers

When I worked in HiFi back in the 70`s we sold all the Celestion range and the 66`s were a joy to listen to as were the 44`s.

Being quite efficient and driven with something like a Sugden or similar the shop was filled with probably one of the best audio listening experiences of the time and was sold well.

Some of the Ahem, older members on here might remember the Quad Electrostats which were a flat radiator looking loud speaker with great potential to be probably the most cleanest sound reproducing speaker of its day, infact some of you will probably still have a pair.

Well on the strength of this accolade we sold more Dittons after demoing the 2 pairs together because they were that good.

So a good pair found today for a reasonable price should be an achievement to saviour and the new owner should hopefully come to love them as others do.

Allan :smashin:

16. Sleepy

Sleepy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    i have a pair of ditton 15 xr

are they worth anything?

17. Nixon

Nixon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Theres a dozen of them going on ebay at the moment and they don't seem to be fetching a decent price. I don't know if they are any good or not, how do you find them?

Jack.

18. chr15e

chr15e
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a pair of 66s.

Had them about 5 years now. I bought them out the local admag by chance. Didn't even know they existed.

I had a pair of 44s at the time which I was very happy with but had to go and see what the 66s were like just out of curiosity.

The guy turned out to be a carpenter and had remade the cabinets and upgraded the internals.

I quickly gave him £250 and haven't looked back since.

I run them on an old Pioneer A-757 amp.

Here's a pic of one.

[​IMG]

19. Nixon

Nixon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wow, they look stunning mate. :eek:

Well done for finding a bargain! :clap:

20. shakeelraza

shakeelraza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone- I have just acquired a pair of Celestion Ditton 44's that my Dad bought it the 70's and they sound unbelievable!

The amp i am using is rather fragile now and I am looking to buy a new one but I am not sure about what will be best compatible?

For example would this be okay?

TA-FE370 (TAFE370) : Home Theatre and hi fi : Sony : United Kingdom

I really don't want too damage them! can anyone suggest some ideal amps?

Thanks

Shakeel.

21. Fred the Oyster

Fred the Oyster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Maybe a Quad 33/303 or an Armstrong 621? :devil:

22. shakeelraza

shakeelraza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers- I've just searched for this old amp 'Sansui 661' and it gets great reviews- I must admit it does sound amazing but I thought it was the speakers themselves.

Is it normal to have a bit of noise when using the volume/ balance faders or is this a bad connection or something- also there is a fair bit of hiss but that may be as it's analogue but it sounds great all the same.

23. steve4

steve4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi - steve4 here....

managed to get some 66's (though have had to get the mid range speaker repaired...found an old fella who repairs them....

and got some 44's also ... am wondering what sort of amp to power them....

got a really nice sugden which is powering a few celestion 15's but it is not really able to drive the 66's

...any suggestions?

24. macguffin

macguffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thread resurrection.....ha over a year nearly. I have just bought a pair of celestion ditton 44's. I'm looking into buying a vintage amp, sansui or sugden. i'm looking at a Sugden A21a or Sugden A28 amplifier for that nice warm valve sound and was wondering would these amps be ok to drive the celestions.
    The a21a is rated at 25 wpc and i think the a28 is not much more at 35-40 watts. These amps are class A amps so run hot and therefore really work best with very efficent speakers but i dont know how efficent the celestions are. The celestions are rated at 10-80 watts but does anybody know the decibel rating?
    any help appreciated
    thx
    macguffin

25. unrealdave

unrealdave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi

The 44's are great speakers - you should try the 66's :smashin:

This is from the original literature at the time

Ditton 44
    Recommended Amplifier 10-100 watts rms
    Freq response 25hz - 40 khz
    Sensitivity Pink Noise Input to give 90 dB SPL at 1M 4.0 watts rms

26. macguffin

macguffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the info unrealdave, i wish i could afford a pair of celestion ditton 66's....they tend to go for about £500, once i seen a pair go for over £1000...unbeliable:eek: Maybe in the future but the little 44's will do me for now. It appears that the 44's 90 decibel sensitivity should be able to handle the sugden amps as long as i dont go to mad with the volume, considering replacment tweeters are nigh on £50 each i will be careful lol
    thx
    macguffin

27. dandini

dandini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Steve,

What old guy did you find as I need on of my midranges fixed?

Thanks,

Dan

28. suurirakkaus

suurirakkaus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,

i've bought a pair of celestion ditton 551s and i am thinking of upgrading my cambridge audio 340 amp to a 640a 2, but i am not at all sure that it would be the right choice. it would be nice however to match the amp with the rest of my setup (cambridge audio). does anyone have any opinions about 640a 2 running celestion dittons 551s? also are there any suitable stands still manufactured for the speakers?

thanks.

29. mikeeb

mikeeb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have a copy of the orginal specifications for Ditton 44's?

Just picked up pair after lusting after them since beng a lad when my best mates Dad had a pair. They sound just as great as I remeimber :thumbsup:

30. Martian Phil

Martian Phil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Pair of 66's just gone for just over £2000 on the bay of E Stunning Celestion Ditton 66 MK2 Monitor Speakers on eBay (end time 13-Dec-09 21:31:13 GMT)
    Wonder how much they were new in the seventies?