1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Celestion Ditton 33 & Altec Santana II Info

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by milron, Mar 12, 2005.

1. milron

milron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need any info (age, watts, quality. comments, etc.) re: Celestion Ditton 33 speakers I just received. Also, I received a pair of Altec Santana II bookcase speakers with bad woofers. I would like the same info. Are they good speakers and can the woofers be replaced? Is it worth it?

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I have my dad's (RIP) 33's and have kept them partly for sentimental reasons and partly because they really do sound good to my ears, though recently I've made their life easier by adding a decent sub to my system.

I have scant info on the spec but here's some...

Recommended amp rating... 10-80 Watts RMS
    Frequency response... 25Hz - 28KHz
    They were purchased new in 1978. I think they cost between £200 and £300 - a lot of money back then!

One comment about the tweeter, it can become misaligned (esp in transport) and start to "nazzle" for want of a better word. lay the speaker on its back, untighten the small screws close to the tweeter, realign the tweeter dome carefully, and re-tighten. May take a couple of goes but it should do the trick. Did it successfully on mine anyway.

My brother also has a set of 33's. He uses them more than me, and really cranks them up, and they sound as good today as they were when new. Hence they seem to be sturdily built!

cheers...PJ

PS did you purchase them off ebay? noticed a set or two recently for sale...

3. milron

milron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick response and info. No, I didn't purchase them on Ebay. However, the cost couldn't be cheaper. Free, I picked them up in the trash! My speakers appear to be in very good condition almost mint.You mentioned you purchased a sub woofer. I am new at this. Is a sub woofer a lower bass speaker than a woofer? I have 3 speakers in my 33's. What type are they ?

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Wow, in the trash huh? I think they'd fetch at least £50 on ebay!

3 speakers from top to bottom are tweeter, midrange and woofer. A subwoofer can indeed go lower and adds more bass...PJ

5. milron

milron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Again thanks for the info. What wattage should my stereo/amplifier system be to use these speakers effectively and without damaging them?

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    The spec I listed earlier says 10-80W, so it should be OK with almost anything. You can use above 80W as long as you are sensible with the volume...PJ