1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Celestion AVP305 opinions?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by doctorjuggles, Nov 19, 2004.

1. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I know these probably won't match up to something like a set of MS Genies or the Kef 2005.2s, but they're also half the price.

Unfortunately, though, I can't seem to find a review on them anywhere. Does anyone own these, or has anyone heard them?
    For their price, what's the opinion on them?

Thanks

2. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Home Cinema Choice reviewed them here.
    Gave them 4/5.

Also Richers sounds do the matching glass/beech floorstanders for £299/£249 respectively. Handy is you wanted to go for 7.1.

3. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks Mike. Yeah, the glass floorstander are what I'm looking at to go along with these.
    They seemed to get very favourable reviews at £800, so I'm assuming now that they're half price, they must be a real bargain. The only problem with these is that almost nobody stocks them aside from online retailers, so auditioning is going to be a big problem.

4. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I almost bought a set myself. I rang Richer Sounds & they said they'd be able to demo the floorstanders if I went along.
    I noticed you're in London, so there's plenty of branches around to help you out. Only problem is that they don't do the 305 package.

5. Sly Fly

Sly Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +640
    After seeing them priced at £299 I'm also considering getting this package.

Did you go to RSounds and hear them as I'd be interested in knowing what you thought.

Do these come with stands btw, or if not can you get them? :confused:

6. BAN5HEE

BAN5HEE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    I have the 305 package and the 302's beech hooked up to my ax5a1 and my 868. They are awesome. I have no problem with them and when I crank the system they have no problems making my floorboards shake. Fot the price the are a steal. Get them

7. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The £299 I mentioned was for the floorstanders not the sub/sat package, therefore they don't come with or need stands.
    I was thinking of getting four of the glass floorstanders and buying the centre channel speaker on it's own. Couldn't find anyone selling the centre speaker online in the UK, but www.1-888camcorder.com were selling it for about US$180. Can't see it on their website now, but Canadianhifi.com are doing it for about £90.

I didn't go & audition them as I've fallin in love with the Mission Elegante E83's and will probably give them an audition instead.

8. EpsomJames

EpsomJames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Anyone know if the centre speaker can be wallmounted?

Another review is here.

9. Sly Fly

Sly Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +640
    Hi Mike (Blimey, I used to work in Forest Hill :D )

If you check out unbeatable.co.uk they are selling the 305 sub/sat package for the amazing price of £299... But yes, I have seen the floorstanders and they are quite nifty. :smashin:

10. scussy

scussy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  11. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The sound on the avp305 is very close to that of the Mk1 version of the kef kht2005 they are more directional though as they don't use concentric drivers. They were still reasonable buys at full price until the MK2 Kefs appeared. They did seem to take alot of running in till they reached their best!

12. charlaph

charlaph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  13. LITTLEBRITAIN

LITTLEBRITAIN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    heya. the celestion 305 package is very simlar to the kefs. same tweeter as mkII kefs, the sub is essentaily a psw1000 aswel. evan the cast cabinets are good quality. i quite like them

14. charlaph

charlaph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well mine arrived yesterday - very impressed with Unbeatable and Initial Citylink as their web-based ordering and tracking systems actually work and are updated quickly.

Anyway, first impressions are excellent - not at all as bright as I was expecting given that they're metal cones and tweeters, I was expecting a lean balance until they were properly run in, but straight out of the box they were very full sounding. The worst I could describe the balance as would be 'clean', but not at all harsh.

Excellent for AV use (obviously) - they resolve a lot more detail than my old mishmash of bookshelves and the soundstage is huge and enveloping, with effect placement being a world better than I've heard in my house previously. The satellite speakers are smaller than I expected, and are quite discrete when placed on a mantlepiece which I'm pleased about as I was worried about having silver speakers. The design and construction is excellent all round, the curves on the speakers work a lot better in the flesh than they do in pictures. I thought they looked quite ugly until I unpacked them, now I find them fascinating.

I haven't quite figured the best settings for the sub yet, and although the bass is there and sounds good, I can definitely place the sub in the room and that's spoiling the effect as it tends to make the satellites stand out and easier to place. When the sub isn't delving too deep or going too loud then everything just kind of disappears, even the rears which I have to have pretty close (1m) to my listening position.

Stereo music is poor, probably due to my sub setup, but it does give a very thin sound, although it remains well controlled at all volumes. Switching to pro logic music is a lot more successful. I've never been able to listen to music like this before as it's always smacked as a gimmick, but I was enjoying it last night - if I can sort the stereo out then I doubt I'll be doing it again, but at least it showed that the Celestions should be okay with music, if not brilliant.

Overall for £250 I'm impressed. I still have to tweak it all but from one evenings listening I'm convinced it was worth an investment - I was pleased enough with the sound I was getting before, but now I realise that I was missing out on a LOT of information on soundtracks, and the whole movie watching experience has gone up a notch as it pulls you in.

15. BAN5HEE

BAN5HEE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    Give them a week or so to run in. I love mine like unborn children. The neigbours loath them. I guess cranking Metallica with them in 7ch stereo doesn't help either.

16. charlaph

charlaph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No neighbours ;)

Baby in the house :(

17. scussy

scussy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    got my 305,s wired up,very pleased with the sound,just need a bit of testing through the YAM 750 amp,
    one question tho,my SUB cable i got from Mark Grant is one phono/RCA plug on each end,the AMP is one plug (phono) output and the sub has L and R bass,so should i have a lead made up with
    one phono plug for the amp output going into the L and R using two pnono plugs,

so the phono lead will be one at one end and the other end has two phono plugs,

steve

18. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    You can plug into either L or R on the sub. No need for two plugs.

On the speakers, is there anywhere that does a 305C (centre) or 305S (surround) sold on their own? I took advantage of the unbeatable deal for 5.1 but I want 6.1 - there doesn't seem to be anywhere in the UK? Richer Sounds are still selling the 5.1 packages but they will not split, I've asked my local store (Middlesbrough).

A possible option I suppose, is to organise buying of a package between a group of 5.1 305 owners that each want one of the speakers and split the cost?

19. scussy

scussy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    thanks Loada,
    with the speakers,i am same as you got the 5.1 from unbeatable,the speakers from richer sounds is 3.1,(on the web site for the same money as unbeatable 5.1)
    my amp (yamaha 750se) has 7.1 so i was thinking of putting a set of good fronts in the system and using the 2 305 speakers for the surround back L + R,
    i would be interested in having a pair of 305 speakers,whats the best way to split and how much for each,
    i am in london so remember about the postage,

let me know

steve

with the surround back 6.1 i have a pair so making it 7.1 but can i get a center speaker and use it that way,how would i connect the speaker,would it bi-wired or just to one side L or R,:suicide:
    i think the wife would say yes to one more speaker,but having another pair could be tricky,:lesson:

20. scussy

scussy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  21. gusf1

gusf1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  22. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Richer Sounds were doing the 3.1 version for £299.

23. scussy

scussy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    whats the best settings to have the SUB on,

i have now have put some music speakers on the fronts,(eltax) this sounds much better,now need to connect the 2 cel 305 sats to the rear surround,
    just trying to find the best way for dvd's and music through CD's and DAB tuner,

steve

24. bigfan

bigfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got the 302 fronts and the 303 rears and centre (£150 without the sub, just what I needed)

Anyway...the speakers sound excellent to my ears, but in the last few days my Denon AVR 1905 amp has started to trip it's protection circuit...it couldn't be because of the rears and centre speaker only being 80W?

I'm assuming it's not going to be a problem at all since the amp is 80W standard itself, but always better to check!

25. Lancia34

Lancia34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,867
    I've just ordered the AVP305 pack along with a Yamaha RVX450 Amp. Should be here early next week, cant wait. Once I have it all setup I'll post my thoughts.

26. Whyshirley

Whyshirley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bigfan - quick question - where did you manage to get the centre etc. without the sub? I ask as I've got the 305 set up and would like a couple of extra sats for a 7.1 set up. Oh, and my daughter's friend aparently thought the tweeter on the centre speaker was a button and pushed it...Its not really a tweeter now either :mad: I wouldn't mind so much, but she's 13 - perhaps not just toddlers you have to leave the grilles on for!

Any pointers to £150 centre / sattelites much appreciated :thumbsup:

Thanks.

27. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    For those in the this thread that were interested, I've managed to lay my hands on a new (unused) 303 set - I've taken one of the satellites for my own 6.1 setup (and the sub has been sold) but I'm open to offers on the remaining satellite and centre. PM if interested, I'll be putting them on eBay soon.