1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Celestion AVP 300 series

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Tee Tee, Dec 21, 2002.

1. Tee Tee

Tee Tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My mate has set of these (AVP 305) which I listened to recently. Very impressed soundwise and they certainly look the dogs danglies - from what I've seen the build quality is probably slightly better than the Kef eggs. Just wondering if anyone else has had a chance to have a proper audtion of these speakers and how they compare with the Kefs and Gallo Micros as (I think) they sit about in between them in terms of price.

2. wilmer

wilmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a listen to the celestion sound style system at the manchester home cinema show, Imo i thought they had one of the best sounding av set ups at the show,they were also using there new dvd player and av reciever.I have since had a demo of the celestions against the kef eggs , the celestions for me were the better of the two.I am going to listen to the B&W VMI and the def tech pro 80 in the new year . I will let u all know how they compare.

3. Tee Tee

Tee Tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks willmer. Anyone else have any experience of these?

4. pauljames

pauljames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yep,

I have demo'd them vs kef eggs (kef eggs first, then celestions - same room, amp, dvd and material) and here are my conclusions..

Main demo material Titan AE DTS sampler and Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Californication.

AVP305 had stacks more detail in my opinion, the Kef Eggs sounded muted almost wooly in comparison. Could here every detail with celestions, both systems integrated with respective sub well and no differences could be heard with subs).

However the ice cracking sounds in Titan AE sounded very shrill, almost unbearable at the higher volumes. I haven't demo'd a set of wood speakers with Titan AE so I'm not sure if this a material issue, set up issue or just my ears.

Best to demo vs wood system to see if it's just me or thats the way it's meant to be (never watched Titan AE outside of demo room).

Cheers,
    Paul

5. Tee Tee

Tee Tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Paul, interesting observations. I had a slight concern over this slight tendency to 'shrillness' but prefer it to the over-warm sound of the Kefs. Haven't heard the Gallos yet to make a comparison. Should be interesting...

6. wilmer

wilmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be interested to know which av amps you herd the celestions with. Regarding the slightley shrill sound u both mentioned i did notice this only slightley when using the yamaha 630 av amp .I also had demo with the new onkyo 600e av amp there were no sighns at all of the sharp shill sound u both mentioned. The celestions and the onkyo imo sounded exellant, at this price point about the best i have herd.

7. Tee Tee

Tee Tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Wilmer, I heard these with a relatively old Sony AV amp (an ST940 I think). The slightly hard treble I mentioned is only a minor criticism - they are certainly very clear and open sounding. Of the sub/sat systems I have listened to so far they are IMO head and shoulders above the rest. The bass, midrange and treble integrate extremely well with none of 'hole in the middle' sort of sound that can occur with this type of system. As I mentioned earlier they certainly look the business and I'd have no problem in sharing some listening room space with them! I'm puzzled as to why so few other forum members have mentioned this great system - perhaps Celestion need to improve their marketing! If anyone's interested here's a link to their website:

http://www.celestion.co.uk/products/soundstyle/avp305.html