1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Celestion AVF302 & AVP303 speaker package - any good?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by giger, May 31, 2005.

1. giger

giger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'm thinking of getting the above speakers and was wondering if anyone on the forums had either auditioned or purchased them and could let me know their opinions.

I'm thinking of getting the glass 302's and the satellite AVP303 package for centre, rear and sub.

Can't find too much about them on the net, what do you guys think? I have Mission 70 series speakers at the moment that these will be replacing, i'm hoping that there will be no loss in sound quality as i'm happy with my ageing missions.

These are to be powered by a Yamaha RVX596 (A5 equivalent) with QED silver ann.

TIA

2. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Well, I have them, and am very happy with them. I'm not sure I'm able to give a real sense of performance vs. other makes though - I don't have much else - so treat these thoughts with the normal forum response caveats

The range isn't as good as my old Celestion speakers (DL4 I think the name was) - but the main driver is smaller, so I didn't expect it to be. They do perfectly fine when using the sub as well, driven from a Yamaha AX750DSP amp, but on pure sterio the lack of bass is a bit of an issue (I never use them that way, so not an issue for me)

Mid range and higher stuff sounds great, and they'll take quite a bit of power (enough to make your ears hurt if that's your sort of thing).

They look great - much less imposing than normal wooden boxes - esp. the glass fronts.

Cheers

Greg

3. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    They look nice, but don't expect amazing sound. My flatmate has them connected to a CA Azur 540R, and they sound fine.

4. giger

giger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'm not expecting them to be amazing but hoping they will deliver the goods when it comes to movies. I demo'd the mission FS1's a while back and thought they were good, i'm assuming these will be much better, the frequency range would certainly suggest so.

5. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thats what we use them for & we're very happy with them

6. giger

giger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I thought I'd resurrect this thread with the hope of getting some more replies.

I'd being loaned the speakers tomorrow to try them so will give them a good demo and they won't be used at ear splitting levels due to living in a semi.

I guess I just need some re-assurance that getting rid of my old mission 70 series speakers if the thing to do! I'm not after a step-up in sound quality, but at the same time don't want to lose anything either.

Anyone here got the celestion AVP305 package?

Thanks

7. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'd suggest that if you have them for a demo then that is by far the best thing to do to get comfortable - make sure you have the sort of films/music you listen to or are concerned about. This won't tell you if they are the best you can get for your ears/tastes, but should help check that they are appropriate switches for the Missions you have

Cheers

Greg

8. Whyshirley

Whyshirley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I have the AVP305 package, and am very pleased with it - it is good for movies (maybe less so for straight stereo) - the sub integrates nicely and has enough punch for my tastes - though I suspect in a very big room or if you like high levels it might be a bit lost.

One thing to be aware of if the set you are auditioning are new - make allowances for the sound, mine were a bit 'hard' sounding to start with, but settled down nicely when run-in, run fom my Denon 2803.

In my opinion, given I paid 360 for them - a bit of a bargin.

Does anyone know if you can get the sattelites separately - I want to have a 6.1 / 7.1 set up. I suppose I could always get some 302s for the front?

HTH!

9. giger

giger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Thanks for the comments. I've been running the system at background levels for about 10 hours now and the sound is already better. I'm going to leave them for another day before giving them a good audition.

The sub certainly does integrate well and the good thing about the 302's is that they have a slightly bigger drive unit in them than the 305 speakers.

All in all these are very good and are almost identical the the KEF 2005 speakers. Seperate satellite speakers are very hard to get hold of at the moment due to the package being discontinued, i'm after the speaker stands for my rear speakers and can't find them anywhere!

10. jassi_hayre

jassi_hayre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys,

I'm thinging og getting the following and would like your thoughts -

Center - AVC301
    L/R - AVF302
    Sub - S10
    Rears - Mission M7DS

Should I do this or just get the AVP303 package (now £199) plus a set of AVF302's (glass stands) ?

I only have £700 to spend on speakers and think the AVF302's look the bomb !but want to ensure the setup sounds good. They will only be used as part of a home theatre setup !

N.B I'll be using a yamaha DSp-ax757se amp.

Thanks
    Jas

11. BAN5HEE

BAN5HEE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +375
    I have the AVF302's and 305's setup as a 7.1 system with a SVS-PB10. They look great and sound even better. You won'r go wrong with them. But as always demo them first if possible.

12. martimu

martimu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    These are an underated set of speakers. Almost ahead of their time really in terms of style.

Remember that KEF and Celestion are sister products and share resource from R&D therfore a lot of the testing would have run jointly with 2005

Well worth a listen

13. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I am also happy with the 302/305 set for cinema use. Also sound 'good enough' for pure music, but only with the sub working as well (i.e. as a sterio pair the 302's don't have quite enough bass). Frequent view is that it is worth having all speakers from the same series so that they are sonically matched, so I'd be inclined to go for all Celestions - but I haven't tried the Missions, so I can't really say. FWIW, I am running them from a Yamaha 750, so that might bode well for a 757 (which was the upgrade as I recall) - but, I suspect it would be fine from any decent amp
    Cheers
    Greg