Celestion A1 A2 and A3 - FAO Buns

General Skanky

Prominent Member
Reaction score
These can now be found at Hyperfi for good prices. All 3 finishes available, black, cherry and rosewood.(See What HIFI ad).

A1 in black = £499 or £599 in others
A2 in black = £699 or £700 in others (I think)
A3 for £899 or so

All B stock but should be fine.

Great bargain if you ask me. I'd buy a set of A2's if I had the cash right now.

If anyone hasn't used or heard these speakers, and want to blow your house apart in AV, then try them. Great fun.:devil: :D

Thanks Guy,

I had noticed these a while back and had a word...... they said they couldnt garantee me the condition. I reckon that the prices will continue to drop because the range is not current any more and wasnt popular in the 1st place.

Besides....... for now I have a nice crt projector to buy! :D

ad

The second the A2's reach say £300 or so I'll be buying a pair. Love 'em!

Eric doesnt approve of the A series! he doesnt like the titanium tweeters! :p i will buy 6 if theyget to £300! :D

ad

Guy,

£250 for a pair of cherry A1's now..... or £500 for the A2's! I am going to try and get a pair for xmas, which will give me a 6 channel A1 set up all powered by class A amps! :D oh what fun!

Seems a bit silly really......about £10k on speakers and power amps, and the pre cost £250...... :D

ad

yup, thats what their site said earlier today!

ad

Ad,

I'm seriously considering selling all my front set up to fund buying a pair of A2's, but in cherry @ £599.

What did they say about their condition? Marked cabinets etc or worse?

Did you buy a set and what's the results?

And apart from Hyperfi, did you see anywhere else selling the range?

Guy.

Ad,

also look at www.unilet.net

I've e mailed both companies to find out what I can about stocks, condition etc. Unilet claim to have new A2's at £695 I think it was.

Guy,

I have been on to hyperfi and they refused to do mail order on the b grade stuff because they are in quite bad condition..... their words, not mine! But, i did get a pair of barnd new A1's for £299..... so i wasnt complaining!

I was going to go for the big A2's..... but in my room i normally listen to music without the sub with no complaints so i was worried about a bit of a boomy slow response. So now i have 6 A1's all powered by the same model of power amp..... im hoping all the comments on the benefits of keeping your channels the same are true!

ad

Ad, looks like I'm going to miss out on this. The 'only' pair of A2's I can find are for £799 new at Hyperfi. Nobody else has any! They'll be gone very soon I'd say.

My plan was to do it after Christmas. I'll just hope that some are available somewhere.

How does your set up sound now? 6 x A1's must be a ride!:D

Guy,

The stock does seem to have totally disappered! I have to say its a bit worrying..... i wouldnt be surprised if there are a lot of not happy owner...... at leat 2 of the shops i talked to told me how fantastic they were, a bargain for use with more budget amps..... i have never heard such a false comment! you and i both know they are only fantastic with true quality amps!

I havent gotten to hearing all mine.... only ordered the last pair on friday so they arent here yet..... i havent got stands for them either..... and it will only be 5 for the time being..... im still in the dark ages with 5.1! :(

ad

Is the A1's deal at Hyperfi now sold out? What was Unilet's price on the A1's?

Didn't want to ringthem myself as they'll start to think they're under priced of we all keep ringing :)

These A1's are stunning!

Mark.

Supposedly the new A1's are gone from hyperfi..... but they might have been saying that to try and sell me them! I know they have piles of the b stock, buyt condition is an issue.

Dont know about unilet, i didnt try them....

ad

Unilet told me they's sold out. Not even a whisper of a pair anywhere. So they say.:rolleyes:

Hyperfi do have stock.

A2's in black and rosewood, plenty of. One pair new in cherry @ £799.

A1's also, from the way he was talking. I just need about £400 or so extra to buy A2's.

So we have another A range fan. Welcome Mark.:D You gone off the KEF route?

I have my A1's....... top notch service really, the packaging was large enough to make me think they had sent A3's!

With a quick play with them....... i could hardly spot where the test tone finished on one speaker and moved to the next.... the difference from my old 77ds dipoles is stark..... probably the biggest difference is the power.... :D

ad

I've always loved the way they meld the bass to the rest of the spekaer. Very well integrated. It's stonkingly obvious compared to other speakers I've heard.

My only negative is the binding posts. A bit of DIY required methinks to make them accept plug in rather than clamp down.

clearly you have the original one bar design Guy....... the 3 bar tweeter version has little blanking jobbies to allow bananas..... that said the size of the posts did disapointingly decrease.....

ad

So we have another A range fan. Welcome Mark. You gone off the KEF route?
I've not gone off the Kef route, I just came across a complete 5 speaker set of immaculate A series and thought that they'd work very well with my Ref 2.2's until I could afford to upgrade the Kefs. Besides, it's all in the family, Kef own Celestion after all :)

I put the A1's in as rears first :eek: they sound amazing, the low end was so....so.....well deep and rich and very top end was crystal clear. They are a remarkable speaker for the current offer prices.

I've only given the A2's a very little try as sides as I'm currently in the smaller room and I have to place one by the kitchen door and the other in front of the window. Altogether too many big speakers in the space for my wife/family to allow extensive testing.

Basically I'm still in love with Kef..I just quite fancy her sister Celestion quite a bit too!

Mark.

Hi,

Sorry for the naive question. These speakers came on the market some 5 years ago. How do they compare with more recent offering? Has the speaker technology evolved significantly so the what was a £800 peakers a few years ago is no better than a current £3-400 one or is this a great bargain still comparable to a current £800 but at this price only because it is discountinued?

E.g. If we look at recent offering that got great reviewsand are easily available. Say £350-400 Dynaudio Audience 42 or the cheaper £300 B&W 602S3. These Celestion now are in this price-league. Is the quality equivalent or are they way better?

Thanks

Yan

Just because they were discontinued is no reflection on their performance. The A series were high end speakers...... they didnt get rave reviews because they dont shine unless properly driven. If you have a good powerful amp set up (you need to be looking a grand and up) the A1's will make mincemeat out of any and al £500 speakers. I would also add that nothing i have heard would make me buy anything else...... give me the money again and no other speakers would be as good for me.

But as ive mentioned....... need lots of power...... dip down to 2 ohm impedence not infrequently and arent the most sensitive of brutes! Other than that i doubt you can beat them under £1000

ad

I agree with all that. The A2 is actually an easier load with an average 9ohm load.

The A3 I don't know. Only heard some once, a long time ago.

Like Ad, if I had the money I'd do the same. The only speakers at the time that I thought bettered the A1's on demo were Harbeth speakers @ £1200+ or more. I think they were the 7's.

I'm actually considering selling my whole front set up to help fund buying into the A2's. Scarcity is my problem. In an ideal world somebody would buy my front lot (2 x REL Q Bass Subs + 2 x KEF Q15's) at the same moment some cherry A2's appeared at a good price.:D

So in answer, yes, they are truely awsome and will put a huge grin on your face for a long time to come.;)

I also rate these speakers highly and we have not even talked about the beautiful wood finish:)

Mack, how are you getting on with your A series..... i havent seen your views anywhere.... :D

ad

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom