Ceilings

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by robhullfury, Dec 27, 2011.

1. robhullfury

robhullfury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Looking to decorate my living room next month however..... I have the dreaded plasterboard nails squeezing there way thru. I plan on hitting them back in and using polyfiller to cover them back. Id like to get away without replastering the ceiling I'm limited to time, is there any paint which actually covers well I see plenty advertised but wonder how many work?

Thanks
    Rob

2. Sanders79

Sanders79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,996
    Nails on ceilings should be banned! Any chance you could do it properly with screws? Chances are the nails will just pop again in the future.

3. richsmif

richsmif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I screwed mine. I would dryline screw where your nails are and then polyfiller over them. Nails poping would give me the fear the ceiling will drop. I went over board with mine but only because its very heavy (15mm soundbloc).

4. robhullfury

robhullfury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I could screw next to the nails I guess within a couple of inch along the beam. I don't mind doing little jobs now in prep just havent got time to get a plasterer in and drying etc. ive got a 6month old boy and the living room is our main room/his playarea if I do a good job browny points for a new surround sound system. :eek:)

5. Rick2102

Rick2102

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Hi,

Hopefully this will get you your surround sound then :smashin:

This is down to 2 things, the nails coming out and also plaster falling off the heads of the nails/screws, basically all down to LAZY plasters. I am a plasterer and ALWAYS scrim up screw heads as this is REALLY annoying.

The only way to 100% stop this even if you screw is to cover the heads with scrim tape approx 4cm x 4cm square, and then either skim it, or if you just want to touch up like you do the best thing is to scrim the heads same as above and use joint filler to cover the scrim tape and this will NEVER happen again. It will take several coats of joint filler to cover the scrim tape, but looks much better than normal filler and sands down really fine so looks neat and looks like it has never been patched in. Bear in mind though as it is fine it does make quite a bit of dust, but gives a better finish.

Hope this helps, and if you want anymore help just ask. Rick.

6. bazzarooney1

bazzarooney1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    u scrim all the srcews u defo on day rate cus no 1 on a price would dream of scrimmin them,or i must be lazy with the othe 100 skimmers i no lmfao