Ceilings - plaster or artex?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Gojira, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Gojira

Gojira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am plastering the new soundproofed wall in my cinema room over the bank holiday (should prove to be the source of much comedy) and have considered doing the same to my (currently) artexed ceiling.

Whilst a smooth finish will look much cooler, I have been told that a flat ceiling surface will cause sound to echo whereas the artex is designed to absorb sound much like carpet.

Has anybody got any thoughts/comments on this?

(I secretly hope you are pro-artex as I am dreading the job !!):D

2. SimonG

SimonG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ignoring the sound qualities of said finish, are you MAD?!?!

Seriously, I have papered, tiled, painted, carpentered(?), carpet-layed and wood floor layed and tried every form of DIY known to man but never have I experienced the hell that is plastering a ceiling.

Still, don't let that put you off, I'm sure it'll be fine!

3. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Giojira,

I too can knock up a mean rabbit hutch, small brick wall, extra power socket and outside tap and possess a variety of power tools that B&Q Whorehouse would be proud of....... but......

Plastering is for the well practiced. What may start as humour quickley becomes plaster-rage:mad:

Get a bloke out of the local paper. I had a kitchen ceiling (3.5 x 3m) done for £150.00 cash. It's well worth it. Done to a better standard than we can in about 25% of the time with 10% of the mess and 0% frustration.

If you go the Artex route, then there is room for 'creative' error, but it is still very messy as a DIY'er. I used a plastic carrier bag held loosly in one hand to create a totally uncopiable swirl type pattern. Using ready made rollers to get a pattern is even easier. Don't forget to Unibond the plaster-board first or it will all fall off.

Which ever route you go, Gods speed......:)

4. SimonG

SimonG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...But if you do plaster your own ceiling as I did, some suggestions.

COVER EVERYTHING, even your car outside.
    Use an expendable vacuum cleaner if you spill plaster dust everywhere.
    And finally, which was what I did, move house shortly after. The two events were not _directly_ linked, but...

5. Gojira

Gojira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :) Thanks guys.

The artex will stay put then.

I am painting the walls & ceiling the same (dark) colour so I doubt if it will be too noticable.

I will reserve my energy for the essential sitting around & admiring when completed.

6. Drunken Master

Drunken Master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yeah I've just taken down an artex ceiling at my mates house. The family that the house before had artexed the ceiling really badly so we have to rip it down. It's one of the dirtiest jobs ever!