Ceiling Speakers vs Bookshelf speakers for different rooms

DinoKustas

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

My new house will be having speaker cabling run throughout the house to most rooms to be used in conjunction with something like Sonos Connect Amp for the different rooms.

I was planning to have ceiling speakers in all said rooms, but part of me is thinking I'll get some more depth from good bookshelf speakers instead. But then having good bookshelf speakers does require more space... I've considered adding a Sonos Subwoofer should I desire some more oomph.

So for the following rooms what would you choose? My thoughts are in brackets.

Kitchen diner (ceiling speakers)
Gym (ceiling speakers + Sonos Sub)
Bedroom (want ceiling speakers but appreciate that bookself speakers would likely be much better here)
Bathroom (not enough ceiling space for x2 ceiling mounts so thinking 1 ceiling mount for bass + 2 x tweeters/mid?)

Thanks.

I have done everything you are planning multiple times including multiple outdoor sets. Ceiling speakers are fine for background noise but your ears are designed to hear sound in a particular way and best from in front not above.

My preference is bookshelves on wall brackets, so that they are out of the way but sound better.

Ceiling speakers are good to hide boxes but make sure you have sufficient sound insulation for any floors above.

Check your cables for cross over interference from any power or light wiring.

I have ceiling in bathroom and kitchen, but kitchen is open plan basement so also have wall mounted speakers at one end and outdoors at the other. I would add your gym to that maybe as you are there to work out and it is just background noise.

If you plan to listen in bed then ceilings may be better placement. I went for bookshelves on stands but someday they will go on wall brackets.

Sounds like good set up

D

For the bathroom get a single stereo ceiling speaker.

Thanks.

I really ought to try and get a listen to some ceiling speakers connected via a Sonos Connect Amp at some point. Planning to buy without hearing is dangerous ! :D

Though you might have realized this already, I like to remind people that In-Ceiling speakers don't magically appear in the ceiling. Assuming your ceilings are workable, you have to give serious consideration as to how you get speaker wire from the speaker back to the amp. This typically requires tearing up the wall and ceiling to get the wire in. To what extent things need to be tore up depends on your specific circumstance.

In-Ceiling and In-Wall speakers are best done during remodeling, when the place is already tore up. For a clean finished room, plan on a mess and an expense.

Today, rather than old fashioned multi-amp distributed systems, people use wired and wireless Network systems, similar to the SONOS previously mentioned. You can stream any stored content or from the Internet, from or to any room in the house, with very discrete tabletop systems. How far you want to take it is only limited by your budget.

Plus a system like this can be expanded over time, and there are SONOS (and other) Streaming devices that can tie into a Stereo system. Today, most AV Receivers have Streaming built in.

The Sonos Play:1, Play:2, Play:3 are complete Streaming system, and I believe they can be paired for Stereo -

All Speakers | Sonos

The problem with speakers all over the house, if finding a source and amp to drive them, and getting wiring in the ceilings and walls. If you need sound on the Patio outdoors, a wireless SONOS would need nothing more than a electrical outlet. These are small enough to easily carry with one hand.

I think if you select one of the products at the Sonos link, you will see some videos describing the systems.

Cambridge Audio
makes similar system, as do other people, if that interests you -

WIRELESS SOUND | Cambridge Audio

The above can be very discrete systems, though I recommend Network wired, if you can get wireless, that makes installation a snap. Just get your wireless router to recognize the Streamers, and you are up and running.

Steve/bluewizard

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your input.

The thought behind the ceiling speakers is the fact that I'm having a new build and can have cabling run to wherever I would like.

Ceiling speakers are great for background music but if you want to do some serious listening with a proper stereo image then it has to be standmount or floorstanding speakers.

For the Gym, double check you can pari a Sonos: AMP and SUB, I don' think it is possible

Serious listening wouldn't really be happening in the kitchen diner to be honest. Gym I'd like some oomph and will be disappointed if I can't get the sub to work with the AMP. I really ought to find out about that one!

Thanks

Apparently the SUB works with "all Sonos amplified products" so hopefully that's good news for me.

It might be wise to put wiring into a new build even if you don't install Ceiling speakers.

In a Gym, do you really need to Stream? A small stereo system with Bluetooth would allow you to Stream from content on a Smart Pad or Smart Phone. This can be done in two ways, one would be to stream content that is already on the Smart Pad/Phone, the other would be to wirelessly stream to the Phone or Pad, assuming they have that capability, and relay it by Bluetooth to the Stereo system.

What I'm really asking is if you need everything tied together by the networks.

The Gym could be a stand alone Stereo, and still allow you to Stream as described above.

This seems very logical to me, but the Streaming Relay via Smart Device and streamed via Bluetooth to the amp is not something I have personally tried.

Here is an example -

£_50/ea = QED uPlay Bluetooth Streamer with Bluecore-5 & APT-X
£230/ea = Yamaha AS301 60w/ch Integrated Amp with DAC
£280/pr = Monitor Audio Bronze 2 (6.5", 42hz) Bookshelf Speaker
----------------------
£560 = Total

The QED uPlay Bluetooth is -

"Compatible with the iPhone (3G & 3GS models), iPod Touch (2nd & 3rd generation) and any Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, PDA or computer."

No problem with the Sonos Plan, just pointing out that not every room has to be the same.

If you have a TV in the Gym, the the Yamaha/Bronze-2 could serve as a sound system for the TV. The Yamaha does have Optical and Coaxial Inputs.

Just a suggestions; trying to cover all the possibilities.

Steve/bluewizard

Another idea for the gym..... apple watch with the fitness monitoring and a good set of bluetooth headphones.

:)

Thanks guys.

The gym isn't very big, in fact I'm intending to use the downstairs "study" as the gym as I want to keep the garage space. Due to the size of the gym I was considering the ceiling speakers as I don't think having an amp in there will be a good use of space. But with speaker cable run there I can at least choose I guess.

Headphones are great but I want the wife to be able to get my attention without scaring the bejeezers out of me :D

Something like this is not very space intrusive, and as long as you are not trying to throw a rock concert should be loud enough.

PLAY:3 | Sonos

WIRELESS SOUND | Cambridge Audio

The Cambridge "GO" models are Bluetooth, and the Cambridge "AIR" models are Network Wireless. The "AIR" models have Apple AirPlay, Wi-FI networking, and Bluetooth capability.

Steve/bluewizard

You're right they should be loud enough, but I would still like the sound to carry some weight which so far I've yet to find with the wireless speakers.

Anyway, today I met with the builders and saw the depth of the joists to the ceiling upstairs and clarified that there is no insulation. So have decided against ceiling speakers downstairs.

Upstairs rooms will have some though.

Downstairs I will stick with some wall mounted speakers and have requested cable runs to a few locations so I can then choose which is best for me further down the line :)

If you have the joists exposed, use the opportunity to laid some rock wool or mineral wool between the joists. I did the whole of a victorian terraced house with it. Great stuff - cuts down on noise and helps heat loss in winter.

I'd need quite a lot to do that!

There's plenty of insulation in the loft (being a new build) but I do find it strange that nothing is between the ceiling and the floor upstairs. But as I've decided against the ceiling speakers I think I'll be OK.

One good thing is that all the walls downstairs are proper block and not stud walls.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom