Ceiling Speakers to Replace Heights for Atmos?

Gaz020

Established Member
Reaction score
What I really need is a holiday, but that's no easy thing at the moment, so my attention is still on playing around with my HT setup.

Having upgraded the 5 main speakers I'm a step closer to where I want to be. One question still hanging over me is with regard to Atmos.
Currently I have Bronze 1s for front and rear height angled to MLP.

I was curious to know if in-ceiling speakers would produce a better effect, and more specifically if two overhead in-ceiling speakers above the MLP should produce a better effect than 4 bookshelf speakers installed as height? Also, is there a major benefit to having 4x in-ceiling speakers over two mounted directly over MLP? As usual there is loads of conflicting opinions out there from what I have read.

From what everyone ever says, most people have an order of enjoyment with Atmos

In-Ceiling always comes out on top as the preferred choice (as expected), then its a mixture between using Atmos speaker high up on the walls for a focused sound directed to the required points or using them to reflex the sound of the ceiling again to the required points.

So, if you can utilise in-ceiling speakers like the ones shown, this would give you the great option whereas using Atmos speakers in either orientation will be down to your ears :)

The consensus is that two, preferably four, ceiling speakers are the best option for Atmos. You will have to have room behind the MLP to facilitate the correct placement in a 5.1.4 or 7.1.4 and you want the ceiling to be fairly high, certainly no lower than 8 feet.

You will need to follow this guide as closely as you possibly can.

Thanks both, I've been reading through the Dolby guide over the past few days, and it's certainly does highlight the fact that ceiling speakers are prefered. I've actually tried moving my rear heights forward to act more like in-ceiling, so I might try that and see if I can notice a difference from the rear position.

It's an 80s house, so ceilings aren't particularly hight at around 8ft. Would you think it's likely to limit the effect I can achieve?

I will go out on a limb, and say no you won't be limited with that placement. You're still working within the guidelines, remember we all don't have the perfect room to work with! This is an excellent example of what I mean. This height configuration will phantom image above the listeners, as well as deliver some discrete audio as well. I think if the speakers were on moveable brackets that would be the best option, as they could be pointed more specifically. But sometimes it is what it is :thumbsup::facepalm:
1622470208199.png
:thumbsdow

WOW WHAT A BLAST!!! I just had. Before making any adjustments I remembered some of the things discussed in this thread. So I put on Godzilla King of the Monsters. First let me explain something, I purchased the x4100 when it first was introduced. I worked during the day, and by the time I got home so did my landlady. When I watched movies I never went above-30, on weekends when she was out of town and when my wife was at work. I hit the restore button to go back to the setup audyssey made when I first used the x4100. This morning I watched, mainly listened at-20. Man I heard the bubble thing others talked about, I put MV on-10. To make things crystal clear to everybody the audio I heard was incredibly indescribable!!! Jets and those other aircraft were flying in all directions directions in my room, and on the ceiling. When Godzilla started to stomp around the entire system was hitting harder than I ever imagined, and this was without making a single adjustment to my setup. The only thing I did was I was listening at close to reference level in my little room! I'm ssssooo excited about my system this nitpicky tweaker has declared game over. Thanks to all of you for sharing your thoughts, I will eat lunch and call it a day!! :clap: :D:p:clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom