Ceiling speakers that don't require cutting into ceiling?

ercussio

Hi all,
I'm considering upgrading from 5.1 to 5.1.2, and to me it seems ceiling speakers are the best sounding option.
However, all the ceiling speakers I've seen are the "in-ceiling" type that requires cutting into the ceiling. Since I'm renting, that's not really an option. But I really want to get the same effect, so my question is:
Are there ceiling speakers that are housed and can be mounted TO the ceiling? Or, are there small speakers that can be used as ceiling speakers and mounted? Maybe a set of small-ish rear surround speakers that I could get away with mounting right to the ceiling? There's no issue drilling into the ceiling, but I can't cut parts of the ceiling out.
Thanks!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Polk is popular choice if you have visited AVSForum (US), lots of owners there. So if looking something small and cheap it could be fine option.

If you have decent system there then consider also SVS Prime Elevation which are very popular in US for Atmos systems. Sure they cost bit more, but perform different to Polks for sure. It comes down how much you want to spend and what you want from system.

Below is picture from members room so you can see the Primes on ceiling. The SVS site has more pictures from owners. Click the reviews and "sort: with pictures" .

50155967103_1111de5c02_c.jpg

GrazzaB

Hi all,
I'm considering upgrading from 5.1 to 5.1.2, and to me it seems ceiling speakers are the best sounding option.
However, all the ceiling speakers I've seen are the "in-ceiling" type that requires cutting into the ceiling. Since I'm renting, that's not really an option. But I really want to get the same effect, so my question is:
Are there ceiling speakers that are housed and can be mounted TO the ceiling? Or, are there small speakers that can be used as ceiling speakers and mounted? Maybe a set of small-ish rear surround speakers that I could get away with mounting right to the ceiling? There's no issue drilling into the ceiling, but I can't cut parts of the ceiling out.
Thanks!

Hi

You could look into the Minx 21 and 22 speakers, you could easily mount those Ona ceiling because they’re so light and compact. Same goes for the new Monitor Audio Mass range. You don’t really need any bass for Atmos channels if your subwoofer is there, so the Atmos speakers can be small with high crossovers. I used to have Minx 22s on the ceiling pointed down, and they work very well.

ercussio

Hi

You could look into the Minx 21 and 22 speakers, you could easily mount those Ona ceiling because they’re so light and compact. Same goes for the new Monitor Audio Mass range. You don’t really need any bass for Atmos channels if your subwoofer is there, so the Atmos speakers can be small with high crossovers. I used to have Minx 22s on the ceiling pointed down, and they work very well.
Thanks for the info--I was curious how important the lower range was for Atmos speakers

GrazzaB

Thanks for the info--I was curious how important the lower range was for Atmos speakers
Welcome - you don’t have to worry about it really. The minx 12s have a really high crossover, around 150hz, and the 22s are about 120 I think. The smaller MA Mass are between 80-100. They’d all be absolutely fine for it so don’t worry about that. The Minx especially are very unobtrusive - the picture above shows the kind of speakers that would look ludicrous on the ceiling of a typical front room.

Last edited:

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Welcome - you don’t have to worry about it really. The minx 12s have a really high crossover, around 150hz, and the 22s are about 120 I think. The smaller MA Mass are between 80-100. They’d all be absolutely fine for it so don’t worry about that. The Minx especially are very unobtrusive - the picture above shows the kind of speakers that would ludicrous on the ceiling of a typical front room.

I missed the part they needed to be small, hah. So for cheap budget system in lounge wife friendly the Minx is probably just ok as the volume levels are kept moderate and the rest of system is typically cheap / small too. But those Polks are still better.

If one has more expensive system he surely won`t be using fist sized plastic speakers in ceiling for overhead channels! I have owned the smaller Minxes (surrounds) and they sounded very thin and are limited how loud one can play. There shouldn`t be such dramatic drop in quality or performance for the overhead channels if one is more serious about he`s system.

From Dolby pdf:

Dolby Atmos audio is mixed using discrete, full-range audio objects that may move around anywhere in three-dimensional space. With this in mind, overhead speakers should complement the frequency response, output, and power-handling capabilities of the listener-level speakers. Choose overhead speakers that are timbre matched as closely as possible to the primary listener-level speakers. Overhead speakers with a wide dispersion pattern are desirable for use in a Dolby Atmos system. This will ensure the closest replication of the cinematic environment, where overhead speakers are placed high above the listeners.

THX1138UK

Hi all,
Thanks!

I use a pair of Monitor Audio Shadow 50 speakers mounted on the ceiling as my Atmos overheads (Top Middle). They work extremely well. The Shadow 50 is unfortunately a discontinued model, but you may be able to pick up a used pair, or look at the Monitor Audio SoundFrame 3 (on-wall version) as an alternative.

Although some people like angled speakers for Atmos, Dolby's design intent for overheads is to have them firing directly downwards.

On ceiling speakers continue to be a sector of the market with very few options.

Regards,
James.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom