1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ceiling speakers for under 300 quid?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by woody183, Aug 16, 2002.

1. woody183

woody183

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help please. I am after a set of ceiling speakers for my home cinema. They would be used for the rear surrounds. I only want to pay up to 300 quid so any advice would be great..... (would i need to box them in)

cheers

2. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I use Kef custom install speakers with a Denon A1SE on my surround back channels. I'm am extremely pleased. In particular I use the 200QT's which are motorised. They can play flush against the ceiling or if you attach a 12v supply and trigger, the motor makes them glide down into a selectable angle. Great for multi-channel music when you want a bit more direction. They also have an Auto Music Sensing (AMS) mode which activates the motor when it starts playing. These cost £275 each (£550 a pair). I picked up the older version which also was £550, for £200 a pair. The only difference being they lack the AMS mode (big deal!) so you have to use a switch. Check'em out on Kefs website. There are lots to choose from if you don't want the motorised models (they look really cool though). They are easy to install coming supplied with templates and also come with covers to paint over them. There are loads of in ceilings out there, but not much in that price bracket. If you fancy the Kefs call Hyperfi on 020 8591 6961 who sell the 200qt for £99.99 each and stock the whole range.

3. Grip

Grip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use Speakercraft 8.5 in ceilings as rears on my Sony AV reciever and I think they are great. I bought them locally but I have seen some ceiling speakers for sale online( cant rember where though ) best thing is I can have a projector now that the wife is happy with the looks of the speaker set-up

4. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    yeah, the speakercraft are great for that kind of money, Boston make some pretty good ones as well. i would love to go in ceiling/in wall, but i would probably end up bringing the ceiling down with my dodgy DIY skills!:eek:

5. woody183

woody183

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    chers guys. i have bought the speakercraft ones and should be etting them tomorrow.

6. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Is 'etting' a technical terminology ? :)

7. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm thinking of replacing my current Kef Q15 rear surrounds with a couple of the custom installs mentioned above, either the CI 200 QR or CI 160 QR.
    However when enquiring about them with a local retailer I was advised against them as they disperse the sound too much & that what I needed was a more directional speaker for rear effects, something like the Speakercraft.
    My understanding of surround speakers was the more non-directional they are the better, am I wrong??
    Also, before I cut large holes in my ceiling (& in my pocket!) are you happy with your ceiling mounted speakers?
    Do you notice they sound coming from above rather than from the side or behind?

Cheers, Paul