Ceiling speakers for surrounds / going back to 2 channel?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by robfitzp, Feb 24, 2014.

1. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I've currently got 5 proper hifi speakers and a couple of very good 2/3 channel amplifiers, but I can't help feeling that having them for the rear surround channels is just overkill. I am tempted to sell them on and replace with 4 in ceiling speakers for surround l/r and surround back l/r - which would tidy the living room up a bit - and just use the AV amp currently used as a processor to drive them.

Has anyone got any experience of using in-ceiling speakers for surround mixed with a 'normal' front three and sub? Something like the kef ci-130 with a rear enclosure.

Alternative thought is to get rid of the centre as well and just go back to two channel.

2. Normal Bias

Normal Bias

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I have two sets of in ceiling speakers, admittedly they are in bathrooms, but here is my view anyway.

I have some Kef 200 somethings in one bathroom connected to a Sonos. They sound thin without some EQ, but with loudness on they are "ok". Nothing to get excited about.

I also have some Polk Audio RC60is in another bathroom and they are really quite good. They get better when driven harder/louder (also connected to a Sonos). I would use them or the rc80is for surrounds. They have a bit more weight/punch and have directable tweeters which helps a bit.

I wouldn't use either for LR though. Considering they are much cheaper than the Kefs I would go with the Polks. Bear in mind sound leakage above.