Question Ceiling Speakers for Surround Sound

BSD79

Novice Member
Reaction score
Ceiling speakers tend to be lower than 8 ohm impedance anyway (most tend to be around 6 ohm) so you should be able to get something closer to the current speakers.
If you did get an 8 ohm speaker then it will sound quieter for a given power. The RMS power is an irrelevant figure since the LG will be claiming a much higher power output due to the lower impedance speakers. As long as there is enough level adjustment within the unit to balance out the speaker levels you should be fine.
Are you just replacing the rear/surround speakers with ceiling speakers?
What sub are you looking at?

Ah okay, so essentially 4ohms will sound louder compared to an 8ohm equivalent? I'm looking at replacing all 4 satellites, the centre and the sub, basically as we're moving to a new build and wanted to install something more discreet than having wires round a room and speakers having to be stood somewhere!
Obviously because I'm moving, money is a little tight, so I'm compromising (probably a lot!) on brand, and have seen these for the satellite and centre replacements - Pyle Home 8" Pair Of 2-Way In Ceiling Wall HiFi Speakers Flush Mount White and then this to replace the sub - Pyle Home PDIWS8 8'' In-Wall / In-Ceiling High Power Subwoofer Sub Speaker | eBay. Like I said, I don't have the money to go splashing on Polk or Yamaha!

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Ceiling speakers are ok for surrounds but would not have them for fronts and I can not see the sub working well either in the ceiling.
The fronts will mean the sound is detached from the screen and a sub needs something solid and braced to work well (I cannot see a ceiling providing this).
Your better option would be to chase the speaker cables into the wall and have wall mounted or even in wall speakers. Then have the sub placed in a place that is not too visible.

Thanks again!
I was thinking similar about the sub, maybe best to stick with the sub from the system. I also understand what you're saying with regard to the centrefronts, but I was thinking that I'd place the centre closer to the screen centrally with the front left and right surrounds on either side (nearest the walls) but slightly closer to the viewing position - almost like a pentagon shape set up. What do you make of those speakers for the 5 surrounds/centre? I really like the idea of things being less visible - hence why I'm trying to steer away from wall mounted speakers (although will consider it if the sound I'm going to get is going to be poor).

Thanks again for the advice, it's really appreciated!

The sound will still be coming from above screen and will not be directed to the listening position either so will not sound right. If you want hidden speakers then get in wall speakers for the front instead of in ceiling ones.

Yeah, totally get that - perhaps I'll use those speakers, but mount them in the TV wall (with the wife's approval first of course!!).

In-wall for the Front LCR will be a much better option - if the LR are set relatively close to the sides/width of the TV you could even go without a Centre speaker to allow you to Spec better quality LR speakers.

The units you link to are better known over in the US and don't get a great 'review' for anything other than low cost background audio use.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom