Ceiling speaker wiring large room

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by gforce08, Sep 7, 2012.

1. gforce08

gforce08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi guys

Still planning out the audio for my new house. Looks like I will have a very large kitchen/dining/living area, around 33 feet by 16 feet (stepping to about 10 feet at the other end).

I'm guessing I will need 4 ceiling speakers to cover this area, as 2 seems like it will not be enough. If I have 4 (wiring in series to a sonos amp), how should i be wiring them? Since 2 will be left channels and 2 will be right channels, won't it sound weird at different points in the room?

Does anyone have any advice on how they normally layout ceiling speakers for large rooms?

Thanks

2. sergiup

sergiup
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,137
    It will unavoidably sound a little unusual, but I'd say it will be less of an issue than you think. Just try to wire two sides to correspond to how you're most likely going to stand in the room sideways. Whether left ends up left or right is less of an issue than if it ends up front/back instead, but either isn't a big deal in this case.

3. push

push

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    If the two sets of ceiling speakers are 8 ohms each, then you can wire in series. Otherwise, you should wire in parallel.

I'd take your seating position as the guide as which 2 speakers should be on the left and which 2 on the right.

Also, remember to use a quality cable that is shielded and suitable for installations. There's plenty of choices and don't go mad with prices.

4. gforce08

gforce08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Thanks guys. The speakers will be monitor audio cwt160s at 6 ohms. I thought there was an issue running in parallel as it would overload the amp (sonos zp120)?

The room will have a kitchen at one end, a seating area at the other, with a table and chairs in between. I was thinking of one left and right being across the kitchen space, and the other 2 split over the table and seating area. Does that sound reasonable?

I should probably mention i wont be a critical listener and it will be mainly background music but want to get it right!

5. push

push

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yes sorry, I typed it the wrong way round - blame the late night and me being an idiot.

With those CWT's at 6ohm, you should wire in series.

The CWTs are excellent btw - I run 4 of the 180s as my surrounds. They were very easy to install. If you haven't decided on round or square yet, I would go for round grilles given the choice again. I went for square and have regretted it a bit as they don't quite sit flush to the ceiling all the way around. Also, square makes it easier to spot slight imperfections in measurements (not that you'll have any, but just in case).

6. gforce08

gforce08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Thanks push. Series it is then. I'm looking forward to having them, my wife seems to have worked out sonos, which is massive in my household! Everything else i have ever bought gets quickly condemned as rubbish, as she cant work it!

7. push

push

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Had the same in our house. You may regret It though... I have a nice album on and it suddenly gets interrupted by a dose of girl power or some other such rubbish. Quite funny though sharing in the listening choices!

8. gforce08

gforce08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Maybe a stupid question here - to wire in series, should i run the speakers back to a single point and join the appropriate wires so they end up in series or should i run speaker to speaker?

9. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +894
    Series is where you join positive to negative in one line so just one wire to each amp terminal. Parallel is where each speaker is individually wired to the amp terminal and not to each other