Quantcast

Question Ceiling Speaker Suggestions for Living Room Cinema Build

Plasma Dan

I'm working on a self-build home cinema (see here), I've just about finished plasterboarding, but I still have no idea what ceiling speakers to use! :confused:

The ones in the CAD drawing are really just a placeholder. Because of the soffit design I'm limited to probably 6.5" speakers (or around 220mm overall diameter). Depth shouldn't be an issue.

Any suggestions based on what you see in the CAD drawing? I'm not really looking to create an audiophile quality experience, just good quality surround-sound speakers that work with the soffit design, and are good for music. :smashin:

Budget of around £400 - £450, 5 speakers only.

Dan.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Are the ceiling speakers for an ATMOS setup or do you plan on these speakers being the main surround speakers?
Personally I would not use ceiling speakers for any of the main surround speakers as they will be too detached from the screen. If you do not want speakers on display then inwall or thin on wall speakers would be a far better option.
In terms of where your current placement of speakers is concerned I feel they are too close to the walls at the side which will cause sound reflection issues etc.

Plasma Dan

Are the ceiling speakers for an ATMOS setup
I'd not heard of this type of setup until you mentioned it. Looking at what I can find online, I would need to add more speakers for this type of setup? o_O

do you plan on these speakers being the main surround speakers?.
I really would rather keep just the ceiling speakers. I have already installed the wiring for 5 ceiling speakers + 1 subwoofer in the left alcove (I may decide not to use that since it would be somewhat in the way).

The primary use of this setup will most likely be for console gaming rather than movies anyway. I'd be happy with decent regular surround sound. :smashin:

If you do not want speakers on display then inwall or thin on wall speakers would be a far better option.
I had considered this before starting the project, but I was concerned about compromising the soundproofing of the room, also I came to the conclusion that I can't afford the depth required for in-wall speakers.

In terms of where your current placement of speakers is concerned I feel they are too close to the walls at the side which will cause sound reflection issues etc.
I was concerned about this myself. I was thinking of maybe using angled speakers? ...

The rear speakers can be positioned anywhere along the rear soffit, but the front left & right are limited in terms of position.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I can not see you getting anything like reasonable surround sound with the way the speakers are positioned. As I said the sound is just going to be too delocalised from the screen. In gaming I would have thought this was just as important if not more important than a movie especially if playing first person shooter games etc.
In reality you can do whatever you want but I just do not see your current suggestion as being a good idea. A sub in a corner is not ideal either as you can get a boundary effect which gives you boomy bass. Unfortunately I do not think you really did your research properly when designing the system and have in my view made too many compromises.

Plasma Dan

the sound is just going to be too delocalised from the screen.
It's hard to see from that angle on the CAD drawing, but the center speaker is directly over the screen. Maybe I could add some small floor standing speakers at the front, to help localise the sound. I won't be able to get them ear level due to the position of the screen, but I'll consider adding some more front speakers. The great thing here is that can be done at any time, even after the room is complete, it's just a matter for tucking some cables under the carpet. :smashin:

A sub in a corner is not ideal either as you can get a boundary effect which gives you boomy bass.
I had thought of this, I could possibly have it in-front of the chimney-breast... maybe. :suicide: The speaker connection is on the right side of the left alcove anyway.

I should point-out that I really doubt I'll be using one at all, even with the soundproofing I think the low-frequency sound will be heard too easily by the neighbours. I won't know until I test it out once the room is complete.

Unfortunately I do not think you really did your research properly when designing the system and have in my view made too many compromises.
Keeping the speakers out of the way was always a priority for this project, especially the surround speakers. The back of the room is a walkway between the front door, and the back-room. I didn't want to have speakers there.

So you think I should keep the ceiling speakers for a Dolby ATMOS 5.1.2 setup, with some small floor standing speakers for the front? Will the center speaker need to be moved also? Should I just scrap the center ceiling speaker you think? :censored:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The last suggestion should be workable and a better option than your current layout. I would also not have the centre as a ceiling speaker.

peter-d-w

Great build so far. Well done! Would it be possible to build in a centre speaker into the panelling immediately below the TV? That would give you a much better result than a ceiling speaker.

Plasma Dan

Great build so far. Well done! Would it be possible to build in a centre speaker into the panelling immediately below the TV? That would give you a much better result than a ceiling speaker.
I had thought about that. The chimney-breast is the only place with the depth to allow for anything like that. My concern is that this would create a flanking path for the sound, and would travel up the original chimney and effectively short-out the sound proofing into next-door / upstairs. :thumbsdow

Also I'm not having any kind of TV, since the wall itself will be the projector screen. I've had success with this method in the past, and with the correct type of paint it can look almost as good as having a purpose-made projector screen. :smashin:

I think I'll just stick to using floor standing speakers, I'll just have to source some small enough ones so as to not interfere with the screen. :censored:

peter-d-w

I had thought about that. The chimney-breast is the only place with the depth to allow for anything like that. My concern is that this would create a flanking path for the sound, and would travel up the original chimney and effectively short-out the sound proofing into next-door / upstairs. :thumbsdow

Also I'm not having any kind of TV, since the wall itself will be the projector screen. I've had success with this method in the past, and with the correct type of paint it can look almost as good as having a purpose-made projector screen. :smashin:

I think I'll just stick to using floor standing speakers, I'll just have to source some small enough ones so as to not interfere with the screen. :censored:
What about surface mounting your front and centre speakers and then ceiling mounting the rears?