Ceiling speaker placement (5.1.4) for Atmos ... Sanity Check !

NullMind

Established Member
Reaction score
I am sorry, I know this is a questions asked here 100x now, but with every layer being slightly different .. becomes hard to be sure one is on the right track, I tried to do allot of research before settling on this layout, I just ask for some sanity check, see if I got it right taking in consideration the layout I have to work with !

Just double checking this look right :)

atmos.jpg

I had to put the center of the back Atmos ceiling at 33cm from the back cabinet, the cabinet goes to the ceiling and houses the rear surrounds, I then placed the center/forward (?) ceiling atmos at 194cm from the back cabinet (center of speaker) .. basically the center of the back atmos and the forward atmos are 1.6m apart

This only allows me a 104º for the back, not the recommended 125º, on the fronts, I do get a nice 46º (from the optimal viewing/listening position in the couch)

I cant push the back Atmos any further back because there is a metal support for the drywalls that prevents me from doing so

Now, distance from the wall, I place them at 0.29cm (center of speaker) from the wall, as to be in line with the front speakers

Now my questions

1 - I cant get a 125-135º for the back Atmos, is this setup worse than just going 5.1.2 ? or will I still benefit from the 5.1.4 despite not ideal placement on the back ? (I already bought the speakers, but can always return 2)

2 - Does the forward atmos at 1.94 from the back cabinet look alright ? my rough calculation gives me a 46º angle to the head of the perfect listening position, the top of the head being at around 115cm from the floor, or should it be further forward towards the screen ?

3 - Is the distance to the side walls or the Atmos fine ? should I keep them in line with the front speakers or push them further towards the inside of the room ?

And of course, if you guys think I am missing something or doing anything wrong .. I appreciate

PS - Before somebody wonders, "where is the SUB ?", it is on a partition in the cabinet, behind the couch ..

Thanks for any help !

Carlos

Obviously you won't get the full benefit of the rear atmos as they are pretty much above you. Whether or not they add something or not is difficult to say. What speakers are they? The ones above me, when I can't be bothered to pull the sofa forward don't do much in my opinion.

Might be worth pulling them away from the side walls a little to avoid reflections but again I'd get better advice than mine regarding that. Regardless of keeping them perfectly inline with LCR.

Obviously you won't get the full benefit of the rear atmos as they are pretty much above you. Whether or not they add something or not is difficult to say. What speakers are they? The ones above me, when I can't be bothered to pull the sofa forward don't do much in my opinion.

Might be worth pulling them away from the side walls a little to avoid reflections but again I'd get better advice than mine regarding that. Regardless of keeping them perfectly inline with LCR.

Sorry I should have specified

- Front Speakers : Q Acoustics 3050
- Rear Speakers : Q Acoustics 3020
- Center Speaker : Q Acoustics 3090
- Sub : Q Acoustics 3070
- Ceiling Atmos: 4 x Polk RC60i

Yes, I am wondering on the side walls, if I am too close ..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom