Ceiling speaker options for Sonos amp

nickspam

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all

We’re redoing a 6x3m room with a pitched ceiling, opening out onto the garden, and thought some ceiling speakers to link into our Sonos system would be a good addition, with the bonus that we might be able to hear them outside (a bit), particularly when working with a Sonos Move. My challenge was whether you could get better bang for your buck than the standard Sonos/Sonance offering.

We’ve narrowed our hunt down to:

B&W CCM683
B&W CCM684
Monitor Audio C280
Monitor Audio C380

..or the cheaper wildcard: BluCube BCK80

Can anybody recommend one over the other of the above? I’ve heard that B&W is slightly more geared towards ‘general’ music (which is us), rather than Monitor Audio, which offers more clarity (eg. speech or classical music)?

Any help would be massively appreciated!

Many thanks.
😁

Depending upon the room size, adding a small woofer will allow you to rely less on what speakers you use enabling you to enjoy a better range of sounds without having to worry to much.

As for which one sounds better, that's a tough one for me to answer as I expect the room acoustics will have a little more to play with the sound due to the ceiling being pitched plus the fact I have only heard the Monitor Audio's which do tend to add a little more sparkle to the sound thanks to the Gold C-Cams Tweeter, but with a woofer added, this will remove any of your woes and should extend the musical ability

As you are using a pitched ceiling, maybe looking at Monitor Audio's IDC version which will give you a little more control enabling you angling the tweeter for a better stereo controlled experience in place of just hoping it works

Depending upon the room size, adding a small woofer will allow you to rely less on what speakers you use enabling you to enjoy a better range of sounds without having to worry to much.

As for which one sounds better, that's a tough one for me to answer as I expect the room acoustics will have a little more to play with the sound due to the ceiling being pitched plus the fact I have only heard the Monitor Audio's which do tend to add a little more sparkle to the sound thanks to the Gold C-Cams Tweeter, but with a woofer added, this will remove any of your woes and should extend the musical ability

As you are using a pitched ceiling, maybe looking at Monitor Audio's IDC version which will give you a little more control enabling you angling the tweeter for a better stereo controlled experience in place of just hoping it works
Thank you so much! I had considered the IDC version - great idea on the subwoofer though. :eek:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom