Ceiling Speaker for Dolby Atmos

Starbucky

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm looking for any good recommendations for ceiling speakers with Dolby Atmos. I was going to purchase the Monitor Audio C265-FX speakers but then realised that I need 8inch speakers

The FX's and IDC's are not going to give you what you need from Atmos Speakers.

The FX's a defuser, Di-Poles and Bi-Poles are designed to give you as wide a sound as possible and typically used are sides and rear surrounds. Not what you need for Atmos, where focused sound is the ideal.

The IDC's are a good speaker, but possibly overkill for Atmos use and still not ideal to give truely focued sound.

Others here and on AVS in the US really rate our OSD Black R83a's. They are a 8" speaker but the whole drive is canted 15deg to allow sound to be played towards the main seating position.

We have both 8" (83a) and 6.5" (63a) in stock.

As with any in-ceiling speaker you should strongly consider firehoods as well if you have other rooms above the room.

(Also great for an in-ceiling LCR setup)

Chris.

Last edited:
The FX's and IDC's are not going to give you what you need from Atmos Speakers.

The FX's a defuser, Di-Poles and Bi-Poles are designed to give you as wide a sound as possible and typically used are sides and rear surrounds. Not what you need for Atmos, where focused sound is the ideal.

The IDC's are a good speaker, but possibly overkill for Atmos use and still not ideal to give truely focued sound.

Others here and on AVS in the US really rate our OSD Black R83a's. They are a 8" speaker but the whole drive is canted 15deg to allow sound to be played towards the main seating position.

We have both 8" (83a) and 6.5" (63a) in stock.

As with any in-ceiling speaker you should strongly consider firehoods as well if you have other rooms above the room.

(Also great for an in-ceiling LCR setup)

Chris.
Hello, why do you say that the c265idc would not do the atmos functions well?

I currently have some focal sib in auro3d arrangement but my base speakers are monitor audio gold and I was thinking of adding 4 units of c265idc but between that it costs 1200€ the 4 units and that my room is small and I do not know whether to add two or four.

Do you think that for atmos or auro 3d is better a monitor layout?

Your help would help me to decide, thank you.

Because they are defusers not focusers of sound.

Atmos need to focus sound towards your MLP to give the best experience.

Because they are defusers not focusers of sound.

Atmos need to focus sound towards your MLP to give the best experience.
Thank you for your response, I've been reading all night and I think these wonderful speakers are designed for those who can't have floor-mounted equipment and mount their equipment on the ceiling or walls to have the highest possible quality since they are more musical...but only i want to improve the atmos as my base is all monitor audio gold and it sounds great...i also use auro3d a lot and my current setup is 5.2.5 auro 3d but i was thinking of these idcs to improve my height channels and make them all match the monitor audio series but on second thought maybe it's better to get monitor audio apex10 for focused sound.

To be honest - we install mostly C265-IDC or C380-IDC for ATMOS duties from the Monitor Audio range. FX are not suited - more for when you need an in-ceiling rear surround for example.

The ability to rotate the mid-tweet up to 18 degrees means you get the directionality of the MF/HF that's ultimately needed. There's not a lot of LF in ATMOS channels...

To be honest - we install mostly C265-IDC or C380-IDC for ATMOS duties from the Monitor Audio range. FX are not suited - more for when you need an in-ceiling rear surround for example.

The ability to rotate the mid-tweet up to 18 degrees means you get the directionality of the MF/HF that's ultimately needed. There's not a lot of LF in ATMOS channels...
Thanks friend, in the end I have decided on the c280idc but there is no stock and it will take about 10 days, they offered me the c280 for immediate delivery but as you say, I think that the addressable pivoting module will be better for me!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom