Ceiling- or top-of-wall mounted height speakers

imightbewrong

Outstanding Member
Solutions
Reaction score
It's probably a tale as old as time but I'm speccing up a dedicated cinema room in the garden - planning on a 7.2.4 setup. What are the thoughts on mounting angled height speakers on the walls vs in-ceiling speakers? I am focussing on sound-proofing so not wild in cutting four large holes in my ceiling. Also I have some B&W in-ceiling speakers in the kitchen - they sound ok... but a bit lacking oomph - I guess as they are not boxed.

Would four wall/ceiling join mounted height speakers like the SVS Prime for example

1622469180223.png

give satisfactory Atmos height effects? I guess they could also be surface mounted on the ceiling itself.

In ceiling will be better, especially if that ceiling is fairly high, more dispersion. Height of the ceiling is also going to effect how the front height mounted ones will work, again higher the better. Upfiring will work if the ceiling is over 7.5-8 feet and is made of a reflective material. Four speakers will give a very wide dispersion in that configuration.

I'll not comment on the sound proofing, or not, of inceiling speakers as I have no idea but they would be the best option if you can accommodate them.

In ceiling will be better, especially if that ceiling is fairly high, more dispersion. Height of the ceiling is also going to effect how the front height mounted ones will work, again higher the better. Upfiring will work if the ceiling is over 7.5-8 feet and is made of a reflective material. Four speakers will give a very wide dispersion in that configuration.

I'll not comment on the sound proofing, or not, of inceiling speakers as I have no idea but they would be the best option if you can accommodate them.

Thanks - to be clear I'm not thinking about up-firing but rather down-firing - like this

1622470208199.png

That is the best way to do it, it wil envelope you in ATMOS! I ran my 5.1.4 that way prior to going to front and rear heights. Love your idea my friend

Last edited:
@imightbewrong what setup did you use, and what is your thoughts about it?:D I just love the immersive experience I have with my 5.1.4 front and rear heights :clap:

Last edited:
Haven't got there yet - still not sure if I should be putting the atmos speakers on the ceiling, in the ceiling or at the top of the walls 🤷‍♂️

That is the best way to do it, it wil envelope you in ATMOS! I ran my 5.1.4 that way prior to going to front and rear heights. Love your idea my friend

@imight what setup did you use, and what is your thoughts about it?:D I just love the immersive experience I have with my 5.1.4 front and rear heights :clap:
Hi, are you saying that you firstly had down firing speakers as per the picture, but now have in ceiling speakers?

Not able to have inceiling setup as I'm renting. Mine are close to the ceiling wall juncture pointing to the MLP ( 1 seat: ME) Lol :clap:. I'm currently running front and rear heights.

WOW WHAT A BLAST!!! I just had. Before making any adjustments I remembered some of the things discussed in this thread. So I put on Godzilla King of the Monsters. First let me explain something, I purchased the x4100 when it first was introduced. I worked during the day, and by the time I got home so did my landlady. When I watched movies I never went above-30, on weekends when she was out of town and when my wife was at work. I hit the restore button to go back to the setup audyssey made when I first used the x4100. This morning I watched, mainly listened at-20. Man I heard the bubble thing others talked about, I put MV on-10. To make things crystal clear to everybody the audio I heard was incredibly indescribable!!! Jets and those other aircraft were flying in all directions directions in my room, and on the ceiling. When Godzilla started to stomp around the entire system was hitting harder than I ever imagined, and this was without making a single adjustment to my setup. The only thing I did was I was listening at close to reference level in my little room! I'm ssssooo excited about my system this nitpicky tweaker has declared game over. Thanks to all of you for sharing your thoughts, I will eat lunch and call it a day!! :clap: :D:p:clap:

Last edited:
Just wanted to add to my post yesterday. I'm running a 5.1.4 height configuration. Sometimes I read that a poster says they are disappointed in Dolby Atmos, I now wonder whether they have the MV at the right setting. To be honest the closer I was listening near reference level the sound just smoothed out, and every speaker was working in unison with the setup! Some sounds that I thought would be overhead weren't, but the next second everything was where it was supposed to be. Now I understand why I read on this forum that some listen at-10 master volume, next movie is Godzilla vs Kong maybe at 0 reference level :clap: :clap: :thumbsdow:rolleyes:

Just wanted to add to my post yesterday. I'm running a 5.1.4 height configuration. Sometimes I read that a poster says they are disappointed in Dolby Atmos, I now wonder whether they have the MV at the right setting. To be honest the closer I was listening near reference level the sound just smoothed out, and every speaker was working in unison with the setup! Some sounds that I thought would be overhead weren't, but the next second everything was where it was supposed to be. Now I understand why I read on this forum that some listen at-10 master volume, next movie is Godzilla vs Kong maybe at 0 reference level :clap: :clap: :thumbsdow:rolleyes:
Listening at reference is amazing.

sad I have my right ear playing up at the moment so haven’t been able to play with my toys in a while

what power amplification u using at reference (

LCR is powered by x4100 denon, l/r surround is powered by my avr 2802 denon, and the front and rear heights are powered by their own 100 watt 2 channel stereo amp. I'm in a 12x12x8 room.

Not able to have inceiling setup as I'm renting. Mine are close to the ceiling wall juncture pointing to the MLP ( 1 seat: ME) Lol :clap:. I'm currently running front and rear heights.
Dont know when you will read this reply. I am in the same boat I have 4 x KEF R8A’s which are Dolby Atmos enabled speakers which by the way can be used as surround speakers depending if you place them on top of your current speakers or place them on the wall. Anyway I too was considering what is the best option as everyone from forums to You tube state that the upfiring bouncy speaker situation is wasted as opposed to using height which will give a degree of Atmos and will definitely work with Auro 3D. This will save cutting holes in the ceiling I have access to the attic but what if we moved and the ceiling ended up being solid concrete or there was no space to fit the ceiling speakers they would be totally wasted in that situation so the height speakers will fit the ticket and no extra expense as the Atmos speakers I have now will be repurposed to height’s and as you say. I too will eat lunch and call it a day as I have spent the last 4 weeks thinking this all round in my head driving me mad actually as to what to do, the other half stated to me I need to sign myself into the insane asylum. So thank you for your comments means a lot to read other peoples experiences and everything points to a very good compromise concerning heights which I assumed would never work but seemingly they do.

I know in ceiling speakers would be the better option but in reality maybe not as Dolby themselves state that in ceiling speakers may not be the best option as opposed to Atmos up firing which as Dolby stated give a better dispersed surround non locating sound so why does everyone trash the up firing speaker when Dolby endorse it, and then you have you tube influencers big hitters in the home cinema review section, even the non known you tube wannabes jump on the band wagon and trash Atmos up firing. Makes no sense. Anyway Front & Rear heights it will be now to reconfigure everything which is quite a bit of work to rearrange everything God I love giving myself a shed load of work.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom